Neal
Neal, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  30 years experience in Dodge Chrysler and Plymouth
17294534

98 dodge dakota: removing..the heater core..diagrams..steering column

I have found a few posts regarding removing the heater core for a 98 dodge dakota however the links to the diagrams are dead since they were posted a while back. I need to replace my heater core in my 98 dakota sport. I know that the entire dash and steering column need to be removed but I just do not know where to start and what else I will need to do
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

Here is the procedure

The heater-A/C housing assembly must be removed from the vehicle and disassembled for service access of the blower motor, blower motor wheel, heater core, evaporator coil, blend-air door, and each of the various mode control doors.

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
2. Remove the instrument panel from the vehicle. Refer to:

3. If the vehicle is not equipped with air conditioning, go to Step 6. If the vehicle is equipped with air conditioning, recover the refrigerant from the refrigerant system.

4. Disconnect the liquid line refrigerant line fitting from the evaporator inlet tube.
5. Disconnect the accumulator inlet tube refrigerant line fitting from the evaporator outlet tube. Install plugs in, or tape over all of the opened refrigerant line fittings.
6. Drain the engine cooling system.

7. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core tubes. Install plugs in, or tape over the opened heater core tubes.

graphic

8. Remove the four nuts from the heater-A/C housing mounting studs on the engine compartment side of the dash panel.
9. Remove the nut that secures the heater-A/C housing mounting brace to the stud on the passenger compartment side of the dash panel.
10. Pull the heater-A/C housing rearward far enough for the mounting studs and the evaporator condensate drain tube to clear the dash panel holes.
11. Remove the heater-A/C housing from the vehicle.

DISASSEMBLY

1. Place the heater-A/C housing on a work bench, with the heater-A/C housing cover facing down.
2. Remove the two screws that secure the heater-A/C housing cover to the top of the blower motor housing cover.
3. If the vehicle is so equipped, unplug the two vacuum harness connectors from the recirculation air door actuator.
4. Unplug the vacuum harness connector from the panel-defrost door actuator.
5. Remove the four screws that secure the floor duct to the bottom of the heater-A/C housing and remove the duct from the housing.

graphic

6. Remove the two screws that secure the heater-A/C housing cover to the lower housing near the floor outlet.
7. Turn the heater-A/C housing over on the work bench, with the heater-A/C housing cover facing up.
8. Disengage the vacuum harness retainer from the hole near the left end of the heater-A/C housing cover.

graphic

9. Remove the vacuum harness from the molded clips on the heater-A/C housing cover.
10. Remove the thirteen screws that secure the perimeter of the housing cover to the heater-A/C housing.
11. Remove the nut that secures the blend-air door lever to the blend-air door pivot shaft and remove the lever.
12. Gently pry off the push nut that secures the heater-A/C housing cover to the heater-A/C housing post.

graphic

13. Using a trim stick or another suitable wide flat-bladed tool, gently pry the panel-defrost door lever off of the panel-defrost door pivot shaft.
14. Pull up the perimeter edges of the heater-A/C housing cover far enough to separate the cover sealant from the heater-A/C housing.
15. Remove the housing cover from the heater-A/C housing.
16. If the vehicle is so equipped, remove the recirculation air door actuator from the blower motor housing cover. See Mode Door Vacuum Actuators in the Replacement for the procedures.

graphic

17. Remove the six screws that secure the blower motor housing cover to the heater-A/C housing.
18. Remove the blower motor housing cover from the heater-A/C housing.

ASSEMBLY

graphic

1. Before installing the blower motor housing cover, be certain that the cover sealant is in place and in good condition.
2. Position the blower motor housing cover to the heater-A/C housing.
3. Install the six screws that secure the blower motor housing cover to the heater-A/C housing. Tighten the screws to 2.2 N.m (20 in. lbs.).
4. If the vehicle is so equipped, reinstall the recirculation air door actuator. See Mode Door Vacuum Actuators in the Replacement for the procedures.

graphic

5. Before installing the heater-A/C housing cover, be certain that the cover sealant is in place and in good condition.
6. Position the heater-A/C housing cover on the heater-A/C housing. Be certain that the pivots for the floor-defrost, the panel-defrost, the blend-air, and the recirculation air (if the vehicle is so equipped) doors are properly positioned.
7. Reinstall the push nut that secures the heater-A/C housing cover to the heater-A/C housing post.
8. Install the thirteen screws that secure the perimeter of the housing cover to the heater-A/C housing. Tighten the screws to 2.2 N.m (20 in. lbs.).
9. Snap the panel-defrost door lever onto the panel-defrost door pivot shaft.
10. Install the blend-air door lever to the blend-air door pivot shaft and secure it to the shaft with the nut.
11. Install the vacuum harness retainer into the hole near the left end of the heater-A/C housing cover.
12. Route the vacuum harness through the molded clips on the heater-A/C housing cover.
13. Turn the heater-A/C housing over on the work bench, with the heater-A/C housing cover facing down.
14. Install the two screws that secure the heater-A/C housing cover to the lower housing near the floor outlet. Tighten the screws to 2.2 N.m (20 in. lbs.).
15. Position the floor duct to the bottom of the heater-A/C housing and secure with four screws. Tighten the screws to 2.2 N.m (20 in. lbs.).
16. Plug in the vacuum harness connector to the panel-defrost door actuator.
17. If the vehicle is so equipped, plug in the two vacuum harness connectors to the recirculation air door actuator.
18. Install the two screws that secure the heater-A/C housing cover to the top of the blower motor housing cover. Tighten the screws to 2.2 N.m (20 in. lbs.).
19. Reinstall the heater-A/C housing in the vehicle.

INSTALLATION

1. Position the heater-A/C housing to the dash panel. Be certain that the evaporator condensate drain tube and the housing mounting studs are inserted into their correct mounting holes.
2. Install the nut that secures the heater-A/C housing mounting brace to the stud on the passenger compartment side of the dash panel. Tighten the nut to 11 N.m (95 in. lbs.).
3. Install and tighten the four nuts onto the heater-A/C housing mounting studs on the engine compartment side of the dash panel. Tighten the nuts to 7 N.m (60 in. lbs.).
4. Unplug or remove the tape from the heater core tubes. Connect the heater hoses to the heater core tubes and fill the engine cooling system.
5. If the vehicle is not equipped with air conditioning, go to Step 9. If the vehicle is equipped with air conditioning, unplug or remove the tape from the accumulator inlet tube and the evaporator outlet tube fittings. Connect the accumulator inlet tube coupler to the evaporator outlet tube. See Refrigerant Line Coupler in the Replacement for the procedures.
6. Unplug or remove the tape from the liquid line and the evaporator inlet tube fittings. Connect the liquid line coupler to the evaporator inlet tube. See Refrigerant Line Coupler in the Replacement for the procedures.
7. Evacuate the refrigerant system. See Refrigerant System Evacuate in the Service Procedures.
8. Charge the refrigerant system. See Refrigerant System Charge in the Service Procedures.
9. Reinstall the instrument panel in the vehicle. 10. Connect the battery negative cable.
11. Start the engine and check for proper operation of the heating and air conditioning systems.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So all of the above to replace the heater core? How do I remove the instrument panel and my driver and passenger has airbags how do I keep from blowing the them?
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

Yes everything has to come apart.

The cluster is just the bezel and four screws and a connector.

You do not need to remove the air bag. Make sure the battery is disconnected.