TIM
TIM, SERVICE MANAGER
Experience:  DODGE SERVICE MANAGER- 20 + YEARS
6531745

99 Dodge Durango: degrees..the engine heated up well over 200 degress

Customer Question

My 99 Dodge Durango won't get over 130 degrees. replaced the thermostat twice. Tied the fan with a rope and the engine heated up well over 200 degress. I replaced the fan clutch but it is still not getting over 130 degrees. What do I need to do next?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  TIM replied 5 years ago.

TIM :

are you going by the gauge or are you using and external thermometer?

JACUSTOMER-43j27em0- :

going by the gauge but the heater won't heat up either. When I had the fan tied the engine got hotter and the heater blew out hot air.

TIM :

OK -- we first need to use an external thermoeter to see if gauge is correct -- we need to determine if we are dealing with a cooling system issue or a restricted heater core..- if engine is not heating up to get coolant hot -- we have a retrcition in the block and chemical flush will be required

JACUSTOMER-43j27em0- :

The temp gauge went up over 210 when I tied the fan. I added a radiator flush as well. Tied the fan to get the engine hot to make sure it pulled the fluid from the block. I stuck the water hose to the heater hose and blew it out from both directions.

TIM :

then we need to chemical flush to the cooling system again-- -- this is assuming thermostat is installed correclty and not stuck open