sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

1996 dodge stratus: spark plug..rotor but same problem..timing belt

Customer Question

1996 dodge stratus 2.5 engine no start no spark on spark plug cable replace dist cap and rotor but same problem,timing belt is good and timing is perfect
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you have fuel injector pulse?

Have you checked for fault codes?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
NOT YET

The first thing that needs to be done to diagnose a no start condition is check for fault codes.

Do you have access to a code reader or scan tool

Is the car a 4 door or the 2 door coupe?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1. YES 2. 4 DOOR

The first thing we'll need to do is check for codes then. Give it a good 10 seconds of cranking without letting off the starter and this will help ensure a code sets if one is going to. Then check and see if any codes set, let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
right now i not working with the car

You can come back and reply to this question with your findings when you get back to the car. The other option would be I could list some possible causes for lack of spark. Whichever way you would like to proceed is fine with me.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
PLEASE GIVE ME THE POSSIBLE CAUSES FOR LACK OF SPARK AND THEN I;LL BACK TO TOMORROW NOV.11 IF YOU MINE

It could be a lack of voltage to the distributor from the ASD relay. This could be the relay, blown fuse, or a wiring problem.

It could be the coil. The coil is an integral part of the distributor.

It could be the cam sensor. The cam sensor is also part of the distributor.

It could be an open circuit, short to power or ground on the coil driver circuit from the powertrain control module to the distributor.

It could be a bad crankshaft position sensor.

It could be an internal problem in the powertrain control module.

It could be a wiring problem on any of the three circuits that go to the cam and crank sensor.

It can be a lack of ground to the coil.

Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I WONDERED WHY THE CAR DIDNOT START I ONLY DRIVED THE CAR FOR ONLY 20 MILES AND PARK IT OVER NIGHT IN MY GARRAGE AND ON THE MORNING NO MORE IT ISNT START.

Electrical problems very often happen with no warning. Once you find what codes are stored then you can diagnose the problem further.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ONE MORE QUESTION HOW TO TESTTHE CENSORS AND WHAT TOOLS OR INSTRUMENT NEED TO USE CAN YOU TELL AND HOW MUCH IT IS GIVE NOT MORE EXPENSIVE THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR INFORMATION

To do any electrical testing a digital voltmeter will be needed. Depending on what is wrong a test light, some jumper wires and a headlamp bulb may also be needed for load testing.