snapontech
snapontech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  2 Year Automotive Degree 2 years hands on technical training and 7 Years hands on learned from the best.
49697172

2006 dodge caravan malfuntion indicator light is on.wy?

Customer Question

2006 dodge caravan ''malfuntion indicator light'' is on.wy?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.
Hello I will help you with your question,

There are hundreds of reasons that light can be turned on so the first step is to stop at your autoparts store and have the computer scanned. They will do this at no cost and once you have the code that will give you a starting point to see what needs to be done to keep the light off.

As long as the light is not flashing it is likely an evaporative emissions code from a loose gas cap or small hole in a vapor hose so it is safe to drive until you can have it repaired.

Let me know what code you get and I can advise you further about what repairs are needed.

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Malfunction Indicator Light is on...I have tried all you suggest...I need a better answer
Expert:  snapontech replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Justanswer, My name isXXXXX am here to help.

There is another way most of these have to get the codes. Put the key in the ignition and turn it on and off 3 times last time leave in the on position than watch where the odometer is located this will show you codes PXXXX write them down and send them to me. When its complete it will say DONE
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We tried it several times & don't see any code number at the odometer.
Ok I just went and did it. You have to insert key into the ignition and than turn on than off on than off than on it will show the codes in the odometer or the word DONE I will have a video shortly if your still unsuccessful
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Iam waiting for your video. I tried several times & don't see a code at the odometer.
Ok some do it this way or the other ways Get Diagnostic Trouble Codes by placing the key into the ignition. Push and hold the both the "Trip" and the "Reset" buttons with the left hand and turn the key to the "ACC" position (first position between "LOCK" and "RUN"). Continue to hold both buttons in and count to 5. Release both buttons, display should read trip mileage instead of total mileage. Push the "TRIP" button and the odometer will display DTC'S in rotating sequence instead of displaying total mileage.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
50802....is this the code you are looking for?
Ok this is incorrect it should be a letter than 4 numbers lets try it one more time that could be the mileage if thats the current mileage
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK may be it is S0802...I could have mis read it.
It will be B,C,P,U most common ones are P this code doesnt exist so something is wrong.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not see any BCP or U code numbers...I tried it several times...I guess you are unable to help me...I still don't seem to find out why the malfunction indicator light is on...what happened to the video you were going to show me?
The video is just to access the codes CLICK HERE This normally works without a problem instead of having to access a scan tool it can be difficult I am trying my best to help you and save you the need to have a scan tool. We need to know the code to tell you why the light is on thats the way it works
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just watched the video...that is not a Dodge, and, what was showing at the dashboard is not what is showing on our dashb oard...sorry, but you are not helping me at all. I thought you were working with Dodge Caravan as well...Sorry, but I am not being helped!