david
david, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines
533087

2006 DODGE RAM 1500 2WD 5.7L HEMI MISFIRE CYL 7 CHANGED PLUGS COILS INJECTOR HAS GOOD FUEL

Customer Question

2006 DODGE RAM 1500 2WD 5.7L HEMI MISFIRE CYL 7 CHANGED PLUGS COILS INJECTOR HAS GOOD FUEL PRESSURE HAS GOOD COMPRESSION NO APPARENT VACUUM LEAKS PLUGS ARE WET WITH FUEL
Category: Dodge
Expert:  david replied 3 years ago.

david :

Hi thank you for your question I can help.

Are you getting a misfire code for #7, Are there any-other codes stored in the computer?

david :

When you say "Plugs are wet with fuel" is this all the plugs?

Customer :

no just p0307 it lost a timing chain and bent all the valves got it together runs good except skip on cyl 7 it came it on a tow truck so never heard it run before wet with fuel just cyl 7

david :

OK only #7 miss, we know it is getting fuel so that is not the problem. Have you tested coil to be sure it is being commanded on by the computer.

I understand you replaced the coil. I have found the wiring to the coils from the computer can be damaged causing this problem.

Customer :

has spark has injector pulse

david :

The coil and the plug for #7 are sparking, At the right time??

Customer :

how do I determine if it is at the right time

Customer :

what would cause just cyl 7 to be out of time the truck runs very well except skip on cyl7

david :

Give me 1 min to look at the firing orders.

david :

The firing order is

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

7 should fire right after 5 then after 7 is 2.

david :

But so I understand #7 coil and plug are firing??

Customer :

how would you tell cyl 5 and 2 are firing correctly no misfire code

Customer :

cyl 7 coil is firing it has spark when you plug a plug into it you get spark I have no way of telling if this is firing exactly at the right time

Customer :

what would cause just cyl 7 to fire at the wrong time ?

Customer :

we have tried 4 different plugs

Customer :

the plug tester lit up on all 4 of them it is like that cyl is getting to much fuel

david :

If there was a wiring problem to #7 injector from the computer, Or from #7 injector control this would cause it to fire at the wrong time. be it the injector or the coil.

I was thanking the same thing the cylinder is getting to much fuel, Of the coil / plug is not fulling sparking. this would explain the wet plug.

I am guessing you are testing for spark with the coil and plug out of the engine?

Customer :

sounds possible what do I do to fix? I have exhausted identifix alldata and everyone of my Dodge loving friends . yes I have tested it in and out of the engine

Customer :

ok so how do I fix it

david :

Ok I would start with checking the wires to and from the injector and coil.

Here is the wiring diagram for the system. I marked the the locations with a RED line and circle.

Full Size Image

Full Size Image

david :

Looking at the wiring diagram you can see the coil control is pin #3 and the injector control is pin 5 on PCM.

david :

please let me know what you find.

Customer :

what do you want me to test ?

Customer :

what am I looking for on these wires voltage ohms have you ever seen anything like this before?

david :

You are first looking for good continuity from the PCM to the coil / injector.

The coil and injector have constants power with the key on or engine running. The PCM controls the ground to operate then.

I have not seen this exact problem were the coil and plug are firing with a misfire code. But every time I have seen were there is a miss on just 1 cylinder it is bad wiring / conection.

Customer :

It was a improperly installed push rod I spent hours tracing the wiring! to no avail.

Customer :

so unfortunately i will not be paying you for your advice I had to pay a dodge dealer $144.00 to fix it.

david :

Improperly installed push rod, Was there engine work done I or you were not aware of??

As you know deigning problems can be hard in its self, But when you are not there to test and check things it is much harder.

The only thing I have to go on is the information you give. You did a compression test on the engine, How did the dealer find the problem??

Customer :

took a valve cover off

david :

ok have a good day.