Neal
Neal, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  30 years experience in Dodge Chrysler and Plymouth

Dodge RAM 1500 4x4 how to remove cv joint on dadge ram 1500

Customer Question

how to remove cv joint on dadge ram 1500 2002
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

Here is the step by step procedure, did you miss anything?

HALFSHAFT / REMOVAL
1. Loosen lug nuts and hub nut while the with the vehicle brakes applied.
2. Raise and support the vehicle.
3. Remove wheel and tire assembly
4. Remove half shaft hub nut.
5. Remove brake caliper and rotor.
6. Position hydraulic jack under lower suspension arm and raise jack to unload rebound bumper.
7. Remove lower shock absorber bolt.

View & Print Options
02_cr02ramtkdr_3-011a.png

8. Remove upper ball joint nut and separate ball with Remover 8677 (Fig. 1).
9. Disengage inner CV joint from the axle shaft snap-ring by apply pressure with two pry bars between the CV housing and axle housing.

View & Print Options
03_cr02ramtkdr_3-012a.png

10. Tilt the knuckle out and push the half shaft out of the knuckle (Fig. 2).

CAUTION: Do not damage outer CV threads while removing half shaft.

11. Remove the half shaft from the vehicle.

INSTALLATION
1. Clean hub bearing bore, hub bearing mating surface and half shaft splines.
2. Apply a light coating of grease to the axle shaft splines.
3. Install half shaft into the knuckle (Fig. 3).

View & Print Options
05_cr02ramtkdr_3-012c.png

4. Install half shaft on the axle shaft. Push firmly to engage the axle shaft snap ring into the inner C/V housing.
5. Install upper ball joint into the knuckle.
6. Install upper ball joint nut and tighten to specification.
7. Install lower shock absorber bolt and tighten to specification.
8. Install brake rotor and caliper.
9. Install half shaft hub nut and tighten to 251 Nm (185 ft. lbs.).
10. Install the wheel and tire assembly.
HALFSHAFT / REMOVAL
2. Raise and support the vehicle.
3. Remove wheel and tire assembly
4. Remove half shaft hub nut.
5. Remove brake caliper and rotor.
7. Remove lower shock absorber bolt.

View & Print Options
02_cr02ramtkdr_3-011a.png

View & Print Options
03_cr02ramtkdr_3-012a.png

INSTALLATION

View & Print Options
05_cr02ramtkdr_3-012c.png

8. Install brake rotor and caliper.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i can not see diagrams is this normal?

Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

let's try them this way.

graphic

graphic

Neal, Dodge Mechanic
Experience: 30 years experience in Dodge Chrysler and Plymouth
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

neil, I have done all of this and the cv joint from the wheel back to the axel fell out. The housingend that goes onto the axel shaft is still stuck and I cannot get it off. Any suggestions?

Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
So the housing is still in the front differential?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
Did you try 2 pry bars at the same time evenly spaced?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes I am working on a garage floor so I dont have the best of angles to really slam at it

Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
Sometimes they take a lot of force, there is a metal ring that has to compress to release. Another option is a big slide hammer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I got it!! unrelated about 70% of the time the truck starts out in 2nd gear, had transmission flushed no change some of the time i get P0300 error code
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
The p0300 is a random misfire code. The shifting issue may be a solenoid problem, how did the fluid look and smell?