Neal
Neal, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  30 years experience in Dodge Chrysler and Plymouth

How do you prime oil pump on a dodge v10?

Customer Question

how do you prime oil pump on a dodge v10?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

Why are you priming it?

Is the problem that you are not seeing pressure while cranking it over?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
changed motor new motor been sitting year. Started but no oil pressure.
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

Ok I see, so you started it and are not getting any oil pressure?

Did you fill the oil filter with oil before instaling it?

That engine does not need to be primed, If there is no pressure then there is a problem with it.

Did you hear it run before you got it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No! Yes filter was filled. Started right up after install running on all 10 cyl. Came out of wrecked truck with 70,000 miles on it. Never heard of engine not needing to be primed.
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

That was not a fresh engine so priming it was not essential, the pump is in the timing cover so it cannot be primed like the older v8s.

Was there front end damage on the truck? Was the front of the engine impacted?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No front end damage. I understand how and where the pump is/works. Not possible for all oil to have drained from sitting so long? If not oil pump what else could it be?

Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
It is either the oil pump is bad or the pickup in the pan is plugged up. Even replacing the oil pump on those does not require priming.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
WOW!! Pickup fine.
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
You already checked the pickup screen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Before install. What about spring inside timing cover next to pump? Would that have anything to do with it not pumping?
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

Are you talking about the oil pump relief valve?

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes!
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
Did you remove it?