Daniel, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Dodge technician
17254274

1999 Dodge Caravan: serpentine belt..the tensioner clockwise..loosen

Customer Question

trying to replace the serpentine belt on 1999 Dodge Caravan; i turn the tensioner clockwise to loosen & put on the belt, but can't get the belt on; still short about 1 inch; is there something that I'm missing? do i need to loosen anything else to get the belt to fit? mechanic just put the belt on yesterday and it came off last night; not able to get in touch w/him right now, so trying to put it back on myself
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

The best way to do this is from the bottom, passenger's side and having the longest wrench you can find to add leverage. The longer the wrench, the more leverage, the further you can rotate the tensioner. Make sure the belt is routed correctly, and that the last pulley you set the belt on, is the tensioner pulley.

graphic

• Properly route and position belt onto all pulleys, except for the tensioner pulley.
  • Rotate belt tensioner clockwise until belt can be installed onto the tensioner pulley. Slowly release belt tensioner.
  • Verify belt is properly routed and engaged on all pulleys.
  • Install splash shield and lower vehicle.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

For best access and leverage, move the splash shield and access the tensioner via the passenger's side:

graphic

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

The best way to do this is from the bottom, passenger's side and having the longest wrench you can find to add leverage. The longer the wrench, the more leverage, the further you can rotate the tensioner. Make sure the belt is routed correctly, and that the last pulley you set the belt on, is the tensioner pulley

graphic

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for the reply.

it's not working though. it's seems it should be fairly easy because the wrench i have makes it effortless to rotate the tensioner. i have a bar close to 2 ft long that i've purchased at autozone specifically for my caravan. i've pulled the tension clockwise as far as i have room to go and there's still not enough slack on the belt to go over the tensioner. when i can slide it on the tensioner it slides off the crankshaft or powersteering. it keeps wrapping behind the powersteering. it's really frustrating! do you have any other suggestions that may help?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately, it is a very tricky belt. Start with the power steering and work towards the front of the vehicle. The tensioner WILL rotate enough to have enough room to install the belt. Make sure the belt is routed correctly, and before slipping it onto the tensioner pulley, pull the belt nice and tight as to avoid it falling off the other pulleys. It can be done, but like i say, it's really tricky.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i think something got screwed up; part of the belt went on. it's not completely on though. now, the tensioner isn't moving any more. so i can't get the belt completely on the tensioner. the bolt on the tensioner had loosend up and i tightened it, but the tensioner still will not move and i'm having a hard time getting the long wrench back on there as well. is the tensioner broken?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
i had already tried some of the methods that were suggested prior to posting my original question. i wasn't able to fix my problem with the original answer and now i fear the problem may be worse
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. We are working on a fast accurate answer Based on the info you have provided. Your time and my time are both Very important.

H. I am Daniel.

You wont be able to put it on all the pulley's, then rotate the tensioner clockwise to put belt on. You will want to to route the belt over all pulleys including tension but leave alternator pulley off or ac compressor pulley, one or the other. then clockwise with the tensioner and you will be able to slip it on last pulley.

You may need a long scewdriver or crow bar or something to help you guide belt in some area's Use things to block the belt from coming off. It feels like you need 5 hands but make those five hands and you will aout smart it.

Thanks Daniel
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks for your suggestion. however, i think i really screwed something up while trying to get this belt on. the tensioner is no longer moving. not sure what happened. the bolt turns (loosens & tightens), but the tensioner doesn't rotate any longer. any suggestions?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Yes you may have to tighten the tensioner counter clock wise really good. then you will able to move it again. If not the tensioner will have to replaced.
Daniel, Dodge Technician
Experience: Dodge technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yikes! Replacing it was what i was afraid of. Thanks

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
If counter clock wise just loosens it then you will need to replace the belt tensioner, as the spring is stuck. and evenif you get it unstuck you could have issue later with it.