sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

2005 dodge ram 1500: limited slip..rear end..the clutch pack retainer

I have a 2005 dodge ram 1500 with a 9.25 limited slip rear end. I took the rear cover off and found 2 small pieces on the magnet that look like the clutch pack retainer ends. They have a little of the s shape to them. I also noticed that there is a small round piece coming out of the center of the differential that is rubbing on the inside edge of the right carrier bearing. Is that a normal piece or something that is broken in the rear?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

What you found in the bottom were ends of the clips that hold the limited slip clutches together in the carrier. What you saw digging into the housing near the carrier side bearing is what is left of the rest of the clip, it's worked it's way out of the carrier and is milling into the differential housing. The carrier will need to be removed and the clips replaced at the least, if the clutches are breaking away prematurely or they are damaged then the clutch kit will need to be replaced.