Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience:  24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist

2004 Dodge Durango: 5.7 Hemi..rod..the ETC light flashing..throttle

I own a 2004 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi. Recently had to replace the engine due to catastrophic failure of the #6 rod. After replacing the engine have had a problem of the ETC light flashing on the dash and losing all throttle. Engine code showed the crank shaft position sensor. Have replaced twice. It ran about 250 miles the first time. The second time we also replaced the cam shaft sensor. It ran 1000 miles with out a problem. We even towed our camper without a problem. The new engine was getting 20 miles per gallon on the highway. Without warning the ETC light started flashing again we lost all throttle. Any answers as to what might be going on and a repair?
Welcome to Just Answer Dodge my name isXXXXX realize that all my answers are based solely on the info you provide me......Can you post the current codes you are getting?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The only engine code was for the crank shaft position sensor. We recently retrieved a code for an oxygen sensor.
Ok thanks. I'm thinking that since the ETC light has started to flash again, that there should be a code related to the throttle control circuit. Have you checked for codes since this light has come back on?

The reason I ask, is that a crank sensor or 02 sensor code shouldn't cause the throttle light to flash.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No it just happened last night.
Ok thanks,so your best bet is to have the codes read again and see what the current fault codes are.

Once we know the current codes are, we can go from there.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ever heard of this problem before?
Yes, it's not unusual. It will likely mean you have a failure of the accelerator pedal position sensor or the actual throttle body.

Since your throttle is controlled entirely by electronics...................meaning no cable like the old days......the flashing light generally means a failure of the electronics/sensors.

So, finding out the code is where we need to start....