Neal
Neal, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  30 years experience in Dodge Chrysler and Plymouth
17294534

Dodge RAM 1500 Im trying to replace the water pump on my 2005

Im trying to replace the water pump on my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 L V8... How do i remove the Fan from the pulley? when i turn the nut it turns the pulley, Is it reversed thread?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

There is a special tool but usually the strap wrench will work, you have to shock it to get it loose. With the strap wrench on use a hammer on the wrench and give it some sharp hits until it comes loose.

The nut needs to turn the same direction as the engine to come off, look at you new pump threads to be sure you are going the right way.

Also make sure you put the belt back on correctly as you can easily reverse it on the pump and it will overheat.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

If your looking at the engine can you tell me which direction i should be turning the nut? Im not sure which way the engine turns, so should i turn the nut towards the battery on the right or towards my coolant and window wash resivoir on the left

Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

Left should be loose on that one, I always double check the new pump threads to be sure since I work and al models and engine sizes.