david
david, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines
533087

Dodge Stratus 2004 Dodge Stratus wont start, reads no buS

Customer Question

2004 Dodge Stratus won't start, reads "no buS" on dash
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Virtual Wrench (L J) replied 2 years ago.

Are you familiar with what no bus means?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, Sorry for the delay

Be right back.

The no bus message means is that there is problem somewhere in the car's electronics that is disabling the communication system that is used between modules (computers) in the car, the most common problem is an internally shorted crankshaft position sensor. the easiest way to diagnose this is to go around the engine disconnecting sensors one at a time and after you disconnect each one see if the no bus message goes away if it does then the sensor that you disconnected needs replaced. Below shows the location of the crank sensor.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

If you have any further questions or need more help at all please feel free to reply.
If not, Please remember we use an honor system and you must click on accept so i receive credit for assisting you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I am so sorry for the interruption, I had a friend out there checking the vehicle for me as it won't start. Ok he was not able to help. What sensors just I disconnect in order of priority and could you assist in their location, your assistance is greatly appreciated.

No problem. That diagram i sent shows the crank sensor which is by far the most common part that fails. Just have him disconnect it and see if the odometer clears up. If it does, replace the sensor.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Should I leave the Ignition key in the On position with the " no buS " in the dash ( odometer) as I disconnect the sensors, or should the key be off ? Thanks

You can leave it off until you disconnect it, then turn the key on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, Also I read somewhere about removing the console to see if something in there got wet ?
My wife was using windex to clean the console car the day before, Thanks

Anything is possible with electronics. Especially if it got real wet but kind of doubtful it would be in the console area....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will be right back, I will go disconnect the Crankshaft positioning sensor, Thanks
Ok,

I will be in and out today.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, this is a 2.7 24 Valve, I disc. the sensor above the pulley and still no luck, what time you leavivng?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had to remove the upper radiator hose to get to it, it had TWO wires on the connector

At this point then it's going to be difficult to find the fault without an active scanner to try and isolate the fault. It would be extremely hard to just try and disconnect every single sensor that is in the system....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Anything else that is likely, I will try

I just noticed you said it was a 2.7 and not a 3.0

The crank sensor is on the left side of the block near the oil pressure switch.

The chart below shows it (roughly)

Also there is a cam sensor that you can try to disconnect, just done do them both at the same time or you wont know which one is at fault if the no bus goes away.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is the left side the drivers side or Passenger, any clues what may be near the sensors or where, the diagram is a bit confusing, thanks
Everything on a vehicle is as you are sitting in the vehicle looking forward. So left is driver side.....on transverse engines the left side would be the front.

I am going to opt out though because i have to leave for a few hours and maybe someone else can help.....i hope you understand that this is a very complex machine and you need special equipment to hunt it down instead of process of elimination. Good luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this a wiring Connector plugged into a sensor ? or is it just two electrical connectors joined together ? Thanks
Expert:  david replied 2 years ago.
HI my name is David I am another expert let me see if I can help.

First off was there anything done to the car before this happened. (Any wiring work, radio, alarm, anything to do with the wiring)?

The No Bus message is the instrument cluster is not receiving any messages from the other computers in the car. the "bus" is the communication network built into the car.

There is a known problem with the dash cluster involving removing and fixing a short. But lets start with the easy things.

Can you check all the fuses both in the in-cab fuse box and the under hood fuse box. Let me know if there are any blown.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, i will check all fuses, does that include relays ?
Expert:  david replied 2 years ago.
No just the fuses. There may be a fuse under a yellow clip in the in cab fuse box. Make sure you check this one good.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, be right back, Thanks
Expert:  david replied 2 years ago.
ok I will be her
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I just checked all fuses are OK, I did discover that my Oil sending unit ( I guess) has the wires broken off, I don't know if it matters, It was located between both valve covers in the middle towards the firewall on this Dodge Stratus 2.7 L
Expert:  david replied 2 years ago.
Ok you found a broken wire to a sensor. This could be the problem, Fix the wire and let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
David this is broken at the Oil sending unit ( it appears to have been that way for some time, I don't know, Do you think this would cause the " no buS " code on the odometer and the vehicle from starting ? I would think it would simply read my oil pressure, Thanks
Expert:  david replied 2 years ago.
Now we need to be sure the computer is awake up. Turn the key on and check for a reference voltage to the tps, cam and crank sensors. If there is full reference voltage we know the computer is OK.

If there is no reference voltage to these sensors with the key on, then the computer might not be waking up. We will need to check all powers and grounds going into the computer with the key on. This includes, all powers through the computer fuses, fusible links and even the ignition switch.
Expert:  david replied 2 years ago.
The wire could be contacting the engine (grounding) The wire causing a lost of signal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, what and where is tps ? where are these sensors located, and where is the computer located ?
A test light is what I need to use correct ?
Expert:  david replied 2 years ago.
Yes you need a test light to do these tests.

TPS is Throttle position sensor. It is on the throttle body. (were the air filter tube go's from the filter.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Expert:  david replied 2 years ago.
This is the easiest sensor to test. If you get power at the wire we know the PCM is good.