karrs2fix
karrs2fix, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE master technician,L1 certified,Tech net training, Automotive training group certificates

98 dodge neon radiator fan wont run. Fans are good, replaced

Customer Question

98 dodge neon radiator fan won't run. Fans are good, replaced control relay,also tried unplugging coolant sensor . Fans still won't run. Has code p1491
Category: Dodge
Expert:  karrs2fix replied 2 years ago.

karrs2fix :

Do the fans come on at all with the A/C?

karrs2fix :

The code you have is for the radiator cooling fan circuit

karrs2fix :

Does your scan tool have bi-directional control capabilities?

Customer :

The fans do not come on unless they are jumpered. Then they run great. My scan tool does give me the fan duty cycle,when the AC compressor is engaged the duty cycle is at 100%.

karrs2fix :

Let me find the location of the cooling fan relay

karrs2fix :

One other thing, I would call your local dodge dealer , I found a recall that should cover your fan relay replacement

Customer :

I already replaced the relay and that didn't solve the problem. I hesitate to take the car to a dealer because they try to pressure you into more work every time you take a car in!!

karrs2fix :

You replaced the solid state relay, it is not a regular relay

karrs2fix :

Have you tested the cooling fan circuit fuse

Customer :

Yes the 30 amp fuse is good. I have 12 volts at the tan wire for the relay.

karrs2fix :

After you tested the fuse and replaced the relay did you clear the failure code/

Customer :

No

karrs2fix :

You need to clear the code and try it again. The computer controls the relay with a frequency signal . With the failure code stored it may not even attempt to turn on the fans.

karrs2fix :

Do you have single or dual cooling fans?

Customer :

Ok, I'll go clear the codes. I'll be back in a few minutes.

karrs2fix :

Sounds good , let me know what happens.

Customer :

I cleared the codes, still no fan. After a few minutes code came back!

karrs2fix :

Customer :

Yes, it's the solid state relay below the battery box.

karrs2fix :

What color wire do you have 12 volts on at the relay?

Customer :

Tan, and ground to the light green and the blackwires.

karrs2fix :

so when you jump the tan or grey wire to the light green the fans come on correct?

Customer :

Yes

karrs2fix :

Do you have a scope or a meter that will measure the frequency on the light green wire ? Fan control from the computer?

Customer :

No

karrs2fix :

That is the next step you need to take. You need to test the circuit / signal from the computer to the fan relay. You could have a wiring issue from the computer to the relay or a computer problem

Customer :

How do I test this circuit?

karrs2fix :

Customer :

I have a meter.

karrs2fix :

will it measure frequency?

Customer :

No

karrs2fix :

You will need to utilize some more enhanced test equipment. A scope will be the best to test the signal and also a scan tool that will command the fan circuit on and off. Or you can contact the dealer and have them perform the recall and see what they say, you should not be charged anything unless you authorize it.

Customer :

There has to be another way to test this. I cant believe that you keep wanting to send me to the Dealer !

karrs2fix :

You don't have the test equipment to monitor the computer control circuit. Recalls are FREE

Customer :

How do I get a different Tech ? I know that somebody has the answer to this problem !!

karrs2fix :

They will tell you the same info. I am not promoting dealerships , I work at an independent repair facility.

karrs2fix :

You have already thrown parts at it and it has not fixed it. Time to diagnose it correctly

Customer :

I already knew the information that you gave me. The service bulletin was for cars with VIN code T in the 11th digit. Mine was a D. SPRINKLES08 saved Just Answer's reputation. On his first response he gave me 3 steps to check,with that information I was able to find a broken signal wire between the PCM and the relay(Now that is what I call a Technician)! I won't be accepting your answer!