Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs

Dodge RAM 1500 4x2 where is the neutral safety switch located

where is the neutral safety switch located on a 2007 dodge ram 1500
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do my best to assist you with your question.

The switch is on the drivers side of the transmission on your 2007.

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it on the outside of the transmission?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Which trans do you have, the 42RLE, or the 48RE or the AS68RC?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
The 42RLE is internal and the valve body has to come out. The 48RE is external, and the AS68RC is also external.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How can I determine the transmission type?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
The best way is to look at the location of the switch, You will not be able to see it on the 42RLE because its inside, the 48RE looks like this .

graphic

The AS68RC looks like this.

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So, the only way to tell is to actually look at the transmission?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Yes that is your best way, its right there on the drivers side.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If external, is it a realitively easy fix. I am mechanically capable.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Yes , its very easy , let me know which one you have Ill send instructions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
and if on the inside, I can assume more difficulty?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Yes the valve body has to come out if its inside.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you have instructions for the unit on the inside? I contacted dodge and based upon my VIN, they feel it is inside.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
That very likely correct. Give me just a min and I will send.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Ron, I appreciate your input.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Here you go.

graphicgraphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
where is the valve body located?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.

The transmission pan has to come off , the valve body is right there.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certs