sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

1997 Dodge: no input single to the input trans input sinser

1997 Dodge Interpiod
DTC Code P0 731 and no input single to the input trans input sinser.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Are you saying that you have a P0731 (gear ratio error in first) and a P0715 (input speed sensor error) set?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
to my knowldeg the only dtc code is the P0731 and no voltge to the plug in going to the input sensor. And when driving the trans lockes up in 2nd gear and some times stallout and have to wait a short time before it will move agane.

There won't be any voltage to the input speed sensor.

When you start the engine and take off in first, what happens?

Does it almost immediately bang into second gear and stay there?

Does it shift into second normally?

Does it slip in first or reverse gear?

Does the speedometer always work?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It shift's into second normally and yes it stay's there

It does not slip in first or reverse gear.

The speedometer quit working for a short time once in a while.

The speedometer not working is most likely part of the problem. The speedometer relies on the output speed sensor's signal, and the output speed sensor is needed for the trans to shift. A speedometer that works intermittently along with the trans going into limp-in intermittently both point to a bad output speed sensor. The output speed sensor is screwed into the left side of the transmission case and is the one to the rear. It would take a scan tool to accurately diagnose the problem you are having, but I would recommend replacing the output speed sensor if you don't have access to a scan tool.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have had dtc scaned and last scan showed output speed sensor working. Although the speed sensor could have gone bad since last scan will get it scaned agane to conferm if output sensor is good or bad. thanks for your help.

You're welcome! If I have been helpful clicking the Accept button will give me credit for helping you today. Good luck with your car!

Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist