Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

Dodge Charger R/T where do you check the transmission fluid

Customer Question

where do you check the transmission fluid on a 2006 charger r/t w hemi
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is Ed. Welcome to Just Answer!.

It's checked through a tube that's positioned in the normal area underhood, which is just to the passenger side of the engine at the bulkhead area... but that's where the similarity ends.

Your Charger uses the NAG transmission, which isn't supplied with a dipstick. You'll find a screw-on plug at the top of the transmission fill tube instead.

Technically, to check the fluid on a NAG trans, you need to know what the fluid temperature is. A special tool... which is no more than a dipstick with a graduated end... is used for this to take a preliminary reading of level.

Then you compare the level to the temperature of the fluid (as seen through a scan tool) and then compare temperature to actual level on a chart. The Mercedes people were pretty precise about their ATF level checks.

Typically, a reading of 40mm to 50mm on a fluid temperature of 70 to 90 degrees F is correct. If you simply use a device of your own choosing to stuff down the tube (and then measure afterward), expect to see a fluid level around this height on a car that hasn't been driven when checked after sitting for 8 hours or better.

The factory special tool is nothing more than a dipstick that's WAY too long for the application, bottoming out in the transmission pan long before it reaches the top of the fill tube. The important thing is that it reaches a stopping point when it collides with your trans pan bottom, so if you happen to have another vehicle with a transmission dipstick, you might simply try using it. I've never tried using the Hemi engine oil dipstick, but suspect it will be a bit too short for this measurement.

Measure your fluid level from the bottom of the stick. Remember that the exact level is determined by precise temperature knowledge which is crossed to a fluid level chart, but for practical purposes expect it to be in the 40mm area when cold started.

Ed