brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

2006 Dodge caravan: my check engine light came on - it..evap..gas cap

Hi there

I have a 2006 Dodge caravan - about a week ago my check engine light came on - it was checked by computer and showed an evap leak, The person testing it asked if I had gotten gas that day - I had not - he fiddled with the gas cap and the error went away. Yesterday it came back on - I went to another garage and they ran the car on the computer and it gave a P455 error - large evap leak. They did a smoke test and then came back to me saying that I had a steering rack leak that fried the leak detection pump - so they replaced the rack and the pump. Did I get taken for a ride??
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question. It is located bu the power steering lines and rack and is possible the fluid caused it ti fail. There is no way to say with out looking at the part but this can happen
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There was lots of black crystallised substance on the steering rack directly above where the service man said the pump was - what do you think
It does sound like this was the problem from the description your giving.