Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience:  24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist

Dodge Durango SLT how do i replace the rear brake backing

how do i replace the rear brake backing plates on a 2003 dodge durango. 4 wheel disc.XXXXX
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer Dodge my name isXXXXX realize that all my answers are based solely on the info you provide me......

Do you need info on removing the brakes as well, or just the info for the backing plate?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

brakes and plate

Ok, thanks. To remove the caliper, there are 2 bolts holding it in place. These are visible in the following pic. Once you have the caliper off, then you need to remove the bracket/adapter, that the caliper is bolted to. These 2 bolts are also in the pic.

Once you have that all off, then you can remove the rotor. These are designed to just slip off but quite often they get rusted in place so you may need to hit it with a hammer to jar it loose.

Next, you are going to need to remove the axle shaft. To do that you'll need to remove the differential cover and remove the small bolt holding the pin in place. Once you slide the large pin out then you can remove the "C" clip from the end of the axle shaft and slide the shaft out. Here is a pic of the small bolt.

And this is the "C" clip/lock....

Once the axle is out, then you can remove the bolts attaching the backing plate to the axle tube and disconnect the parking brake cable.

I hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need further assistance with this.