snapontech
snapontech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  2 Year Automotive Degree 2 years hands on technical training and 7 Years hands on learned from the best.
49697172

Dodge ram 150 prospector my 1985 dodge ram is running a little

Customer Question

my 1985 dodge ram is running a little rough. the other day i found out that there was about 8 quarts of oil inside my gas tank from someone pouring it in there. i drained the tank ran sea foam, and replaced the fuel filters and added a inline filter along with it but it still runs rough. it will idle fine but when you put it in gear the truck shakes like crazy and has very little acceleration i can get up to high way speeds but it takes a few miles to do so and it is burning oil like crazy now too i looked at the seals and they were good i am thinking it is a stuck valve but this is my first older truck and i would like to save this one i love it too much to give up on.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  snapontech replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to Justanswer, My name is Danny I am here to help.

Have you changed the plugs and checked the catalytic convertor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i replaced the plugs and the cat is good planning on running straight pipes soon anyway also the distributer looks good too
First thing check the fuel pump this oil will burn it up and cause it not to work properly for sure this little electronic motor dont like oil! 4.75-6.25 PSI is the pressure min spec so if the pump is just not doing its job enough to run it just not enough to be under any load.

Ok its possible but you need to be sure. Do compression test 100PSI min 25PSI difference between the cylinders if this fails right up front it can be a valve or rings, but if it passes do a leak down test this will verify bad valve if so pull the heads do a valve job and refresh the block as well go over everything if you love it this much. Rebuild the carb just to cover everything.
______________________________________________________________________________
I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posted in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the news is not what we want it to be and can be expensive and disapponting, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-automotivedoctor/ beginning your question with “Snapontech"