Dodge expert
Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician
Experience:  30 years experience, ase certified,shop owner
22989858

1980 dodge: motor home..STALL..DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD THEN WONT START

Customer Question

OUR 1980 DODGE MOTORHOME WILL TURN OVER BUT OFTEN WILL NOT START. EVEN WHEN IT DOES IT WILL CHOKE SOMETIMES AND STALL. IT WILL ALSO SOMETIMES CHOKE OUT AND STALL WHEN DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD THEN WON'T START AGAIN. I HAVE CHECKED EVERYTHING I KNOW SPARK PLUGS, WIRES, ROTOR, DISTRIBUTOR CAP, COIL, CERAMIC RESISTOR?. MOST OF THE TIME IT WILL TURN OVER AND OVER UNTIL THE BATTERY DIES? ANY IDEA WHAT ELSE COULD BE STOPPING IT FROM STARTING? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP JOE
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodge expert replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. Let's start by using some supplemental fuel such as starting fluid sprayed into the air intake and tell me if the engine will start, this will tell us if we have a lack of fuel or a lack of spark if the engine starts and runs on the supplemental fuel we know we have good spark and mechanically the engine is okay let me know what you find
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Already checked that fuel was going through carburator. Added gas directly into carurator. This did not help.
So if it will start on supplemental fuel and you still we have good spark then the next thing we need to do is a compression test tell me what the compression reading is on each cylinder
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did not say it would start with suplimental fuel. I said I tried it and it did NOT help. I am sorry but this is not helping me. I will not be asking for any more assistance.