Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2003 Dodge Ram 1500: blows cold air..on full heat defroster, what

My 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 blows cold air when on full heat defroster, what would be the problem?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

does yours have dual zone control or single zone control for climate control?

does yours have manual or automatic climate control?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

manual dual climate control

Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

ok, if you havent done it yet, we need to first eliminate a coolant flow problem. with engine idling and heater setting on high, feel the two heater hoses going to the firewall. one should be hot and one luke warm to cold. If both are cold, then there is a blockage in the heater core and first step is to flush it.

if ok, then it is either a problem with the temperature blend door actuators or the switch itself on the climate control. I would lean towards the switch as yours is dual zone and means you have a left and right blend door actuator and on manual controls it is extremely rare for both to fail.

the actuators are shown below on the hvac housing. they are behind the dash about where the climate control is in the center of the dash. reach up under there and put your hand on one of the actuators while someone switches between cold and hot on the manual control. If you dont feel any movement, then the switch is bad. If you feel it trying to move then actuators are bad.

actuator locations:

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.