DODGEEXPERT
DODGEEXPERT, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED AND MASTER CERTIFIED THROUGH DAIMLER CHRYSLER
9201135

Dodge Grand Caravan SXT My 2008 dodge Caravans engine light

My 2008 dodge Caravan's engine light went on today and the code I found was P0883. What does this mean and how serious is the problem if any?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  DODGEEXPERT replied 3 years ago.

DODGEEXPERT :

Hello and welcome to just answer.Well my friend the code is for transmission control module power input high. This is a transmission code which pretty much is saying that the power input circuit is running higher than normal voltage. I would take care of this pretty quick because it could lead to internal problems in the transmission but as of right now it is an electrical issue which still needs to be addressed. Here is some more information on the code.

ALLDATA  OnlineHome | Account | Contact ALLDATA | Log Out | Help

FRONTIER DODGE JEEP EAGLE
Advisor Booth 1

Component Search:

Full Size Image

Conversion Calculator

2008 Dodge Truck Grand Caravan V6-3.8L

Vehicle Level Powertrain Management Computers and Control Systems Testing and Inspection Diagnostic Trouble Code Tests and Associated Procedures P Code Charts P0883

P0883

P0883-TCM POWER INPUT HIGH

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]76.37231503579952[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

For a complete wiring diagram REFER to DIAGRAMS/ELECTRICAL .

Theory of Operation

The Transmission Control Output circuit is used to supply power to the Transmission Solenoid/TRS Assembly and to the PCM when in normal operating mode. The purpose of the Transmission Output circuit is to allow the Transmission Control System to turn off the power to the Transmission Solenoid/TRS Assembly in the event that the transmission should need to be placed into "limp-in" mode due to a DTC.

After a PCM reset, (ignition switch turned to the run position, or after cranking the engine) the Transmission Control System verifies that the Transmission Output circuit is open by checking for voltage on the Transmission Output circuits before the Transmission Control System request for the circuit to be powered up. The request is sent by a direct circuit control from the PCM to the TIPM. If voltage is detected on the Transmission Output circuits before the request is sent, the DTC will set.

• When Monitored: When the ignition is turned from "OFF" position to "RUN" position and/or the ignition is turned from "START" position to "RUN" position.

• Set Condition: This DTC is set if the Powertrain Control Module senses greater than 3.0 volts on the Transmission Control Relay Output circuits prior to a request from the PCM to TIPM to energize the Transmission Output circuits.

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]328.57142857142856[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Always perform the 62TE Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. See: Transmission Control Systems\Testing and Inspection

Diagnostic Test

1. CHECK FOR TCM TIPM DTCS
With the scan tool under TIPM, check for TCM Power Control DTCs.
Are there any TIPM TCM Power Control DTCS present?

Yes

• Diagnose and repair the DTC(s).

No

• Go To 2

2. CHECK IF DTC P0883 IS CURRENT
With the scan tool, check the STARTS SINCE SET counter.

NOTE: This counter only applies to the last DTC set.

Is the STARTS SINCE SET counter set to 0?

Yes

• Go To 3

No

• Go To 6

3. CHECK THE (T16) TRANSMISSION OUTPUT CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO VOLTAGE

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]71.26168224299066[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Turn the ignition off to the lock position.
Disconnect the PCM C4 harness connector and connect Miller tool #8815.
Disconnect the TIPM C2 harness connector.

CAUTION: Do not probe the PCM harness connectors. Probing the PCM harness connectors will damage the PCM terminals resulting in poor terminal to pin connection. Install Miller tool #8815 to perform diagnosis.

Ignition on, engine not running.
Measure the voltage of the (T16) Transmission Control Output circuits in the Miller tool #8815.
Is the voltage above 0.5 volts on any (T16) Transmission Control Output circuit?

Yes

• Go To 4

No

• Go To 5

4. CHECK THE TRANSMISSION SOLENOID/TRS ASSEMBLY

Disconnect the Transmission Solenoid/TRS Assembly harness connector.
Ignition on, engine not running.
Is the voltage above 0.5 volts?

Yes

No

5. CHECK THE (T15) TRANSMISSION CONTROL CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO VOLTAGE

Measure the voltage of the (T15) Transmission Control circuit.
Is the voltage above 0.5 volts?

Yes

No

6. CHECK WIRING AND CONNECTORS
The conditions necessary to set this DTC are not present at this time.
Using the schematics as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors specific to this circuit.
Wiggle the wires while checking for shorted and open circuits.
With the scan tool, check the DTC EVENT DATA to help identify the conditions in which the DTC was set.
Where there any problems found?

Yes

No

• Test Complete.

Full Size Image
Terms of Use

DODGEEXPERT, Dodge Technician
Experience: ASE CERTIFIED AND MASTER CERTIFIED THROUGH DAIMLER CHRYSLER