Neal
Neal, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  30 years experience in Dodge Chrysler and Plymouth
17294534

Dodge Ram 1500 SLT: FORWARD CONTROL MODULE..assembly..4.7L quad cab

Needing a FORWARD CONTROL MODULE that is part of Fuse&Relay assembly. This controls headlights and auto headlight shutoff
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L quad cab
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

That is going to be a dealer item, are you just having a problem finding one?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Neal,
I know dealer has the fix -- $400 to $600 !!!!
Frown I need $38 of advice, not just a "dealer problem"Cry
#1 Is this a Forward Control Module PROBLEM?
#2 if so, how to replace Forward Control Module, or is it part of the fuse/relay tray?
* I found a 5"x4" aluminum can at outside/ fender end of fuse//relay assy.
?? Is this the Forward Control Module and can it be replaced by me?
OR replace complete Fuse/relay assy with F.C.M attached??

Debating if a auto salvage yard has any,
Dealer 50 miles away is saying $400 and I cannot get truck there.

DOUG - 66 years old and used to do ALL my auto work. Engines, clutches,
Beautiful truck with 62,500 I bought new in 2003.
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.

Here is info on the FCM, it might help you, It does sound like the module is the likely problem. But I cannot say for sure based only on a description. You can replace just the module.

FRONT CONTROL MODULE

DESCRIPTION
The Front Control Module (FCM) is a micro controller based module located in the left front corner of the engine compartment. On this model the integrated power module must be positioned aside in order to access the front control module. The front control module mates to the power distribution center to form the Integrated Power Module (IPM). The integrated power module connects directly to the battery and provides the primary means of circuit protection and power distribution for all vehicle electrical systems. The front control module controls power to some of these vehicle systems electrical and electromechanical loads based on inputs received from hard wired switch inputs and data received on the PCI bus circuit (J1850).

OPERATION
As messages are sent over the PCI bus circuit, the front control module reads these messages and controls power to some of the vehicles electrical systems by completing the circuit to ground (low side driver) or completing the circuit to 12 volt power (high side driver).

The following functions are Controlled by the Front Control Module:
- Headlamp Power with Voltage Regulation
- Windshield Wiper "ON/OFF" Relay Actuation
- Windshield Wiper "HI/LO" Relay Actuation
- Windshield Washer Pump Motor
- Fog Lamp Relay Actuation
- Park Lamp Relay Actuation
- Horn Relay Actuation

The following inputs are Received/Monitored by the Front Control Module:
- B+ Connection Detection
- Power Ground
- Ambient Temperature Sensing
- Ignition Switch Run
- Washer Fluid Level Switch
- Windshield Wiper Park Switch
- PCI Bus Circuit

Neal, Dodge Mechanic
Experience: 30 years experience in Dodge Chrysler and Plymouth