sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

1999 dodge dakota: automatic not shifting from first to second gear

Customer Question

1999 dodge dakota not shifting automatic not shifting from first to second gear
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Did it start suddenly or gradually?

Have you checked for fault codes?

Has anything been done to try to repair it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it seems to be only after intial start up then it does not want to shift into second and sometimes it will not shift at all checked and topped up fluid

Did it start suddenly or gradually?

Have you checked for fault codes?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
gradually new vechicle maybe 2 months have not checked fault codes could this be chip problem am not sure if tranny is computer controlled

Do you have a parts store like Autozone that you could run by and see if there are any fault codes stored? Most parts stores will check for fault codes for free.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i am not really familar with codes and such what would i be looking for or is possiblle that it is a filer related problem though fluid is clean and no odour

The first thing that needs to be done is check for fault codes. Most parts stores will do this for free. Do you have a parts store like Autozone that you could run by and see if there are any fault codes stored?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
pls explain as to what you mean as to fault codes are we talking about having to do a diagnostic ckeck? not sure about autozone any others
Fault codes set when the powertrain control module sees a problem. The first thing that needs to be done is check for fault codes. Most parts stores like Autozone will do this for free.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i am still not sure what you mean they will do this for free is this a diagnostic check or are they going to give me a code and i have to have somebody to perfom this for me

Yes, if there are codes set they will tell you what they are. Most parts stores will do this for free - they don't charge you to do it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
if i get this code what do i do at this point and any possibillity this is filter oriented

No, it's not the filter.

If there are no codes stored then let me know. If there are any fault codes then I'll need the P code numbers.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
pls explain more about codes if i get the code what is my next step

The next step is to let me know what they are.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
does this have to be repaired diagnostily if so what are the costs approx?
Cost to repair the problem will vary greatly depending on what is wrong. It could be as simple as a $25 speed sensor or the trans could need to be rebuilt.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what exactly is a speed sensoras tranny seems to work fine after intial diffuiculty switching from firs to second

You said the trans doesn't shift out of first gear; in your last post you said it shifts fine after initial difficulty shifting from first to second? Does it delay or slip going into second gear when it's cold but then is fine once it starts to warm up?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it appears to be random on most occasions it will hesitates then finally shifts at other times it will not untill next start for today as an example did as described but then twice after would not but later it did
If it's not selective to when the engine is cold then our first step is to check for fault codes. You may have a bad governor transducer, governor solenoid, output speed sensor, shorted oxygen sensor affecting the governor signal, sticking shift valve, etc.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so does this need to be diagnostily checked how do i find which of the above or speed sensor is maybe the cause
All problems have to be diagnosed, the alternative is guessing and replacing likely parts.

The first step in diagnosing the problem and seeing what is happening is checking for fault codes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok once i recieve the approiate code how do i go about fixing this problem
You let me know what code is set and I can tell you the next step from there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
is there one specific code for the tranny or i am looking for code specific to this particular issue
I need to know any codes that are set.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
codes that are appliable to the truck in general or the transmission pls br more specific
I need to know all fault codes that are set.