snapontech
snapontech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  2 Year Automotive Degree 2 years hands on technical training and 7 Years hands on learned from the best.
49697172

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport: 2 wheel drive..ABS..Brake light..speedometer

On a 1998 Dodge Dakota Sport, XXXXX V-6 3.9 engine, with automatic transmission, I have the ABS and Brake light on, and the speedometer quit working. I checked all of the brakes, and their good, and I had just replaced the Speed Sensor that
is located on the center of the differential, and still no speedometer, and lights still on!!! What is the problem? I did not change the Speed Sensor on the transmission, for I am not sure that would fix the problem. I did not want to change or replace anything that is not warranted, or needed. Does anyone have a sure fire answer that would fix my truck's problem?? Sign, Jimmy
Category: Dodge
Expert:  snapontech replied 3 years ago.

Customer:

Welcome to Justanswer

Customer:

Hello

Customer:

The speed sensor will fix the problem for sure 100%

JACUSTOMER-0r65jo1o- :

Greetings!

JACUSTOMER-0r65jo1o- :

Are you referring to what speed sensor, the one on the trans?

Customer:

Yes that is the vehicle speed sensor

Customer:

When bad it causes abs brake light and no speedo

JACUSTOMER-0r65jo1o- :

What was the speed sensor that I did change do? The one on the differential?

Customer:

Yes the output speed sensor

Customer:

This tells the transmission when to shift

JACUSTOMER-0r65jo1o- :

O.K. So, if I was to change the Speed Sensor on the transmission, that would cure the problem for sure?

Customer:

Yes

JACUSTOMER-0r65jo1o- :

The lights and the speedometer....Right? O.K. I'll do that.......But if it does not cure the problem, and I go ahead and pay you right now..., are you willing to stay with me until we get it corrected without further payment?

Customer:

Yes thats how I work

Customer:

I never ask you for anything on the same question

JACUSTOMER-0r65jo1o- :

O.K. Great!!! I will gop and do that right now. And I will pay you right now and close. I will contact you if there is still a problem.......and if it's Good to go, then I will say right now......Thank You and have a Great Day!!!

JACUSTOMER-0r65jo1o- :

Greetings again! Jimmy Here! Just one more question.....where is the speed sensor on the transmission??? I was checking out the manual, and it states "only on 1997 Models" that there is a speed sensor......Can you show or describe where it supposed to be on a1998 Model?

snapontech, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 2 Year Automotive Degree 2 years hands on technical training and 7 Years hands on learned from the best.
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Greetings! Jimmy Here again! Just one more question.....I was reading the manual, looking to see exactly where this speed sensor is located, and the only thing I found was that the manual states that...."Only 1997 models have this speed sensor", and does not state anything on 1998 models! Can you explain, or draw me a sketch or something that would show me where it is???

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

O. K. Got it. I am back now, and here is what was done.......I changed the Speed Sensor on the transmission, or at least I think I did. The only sensor that

is located in the area the diagram shows, does not have a bolt holding it on. It is a sensor with a two prong electrical input. And it comes off with a 15/16" wrench, and the whole Sensor turns to un-screw for it to come off. Something similar to the Speed Sensor that I changed located on the rear differential housing. Anyway, I changed it. Then I changed the front Brake Pads, and bled the front two wheels. That is as far as I got, for it was getting late, so I put the

scanner to clear any existing codes, and to my surprise, Not One Code Alarm! BUT.....The lights are still on and the speedometer still does not work. I re-ran "the search for codes and ity states "No Alarm Codes, System Pass". I DO NOT understand how this could be!!! The scanner states no alarms triggerd, but yet I have the Brake Light on and the ABS light on, and the speedometer does not work!!!! What the hell is going on here! I am begining to think it's not a sensor problem, but a possible a wire short??? or something of the nature, maybe a wire is not connecting somewhere??? I am open for suggestions. But before you do, Allow me to explain how, or when I got the alarm, maybe we can figure it out..........I went to a town about 40 miles from my residence, and loaded up the back of the truck with a pallet of paper-trays which I use for my harvest. It is a very heavy load, and the back end really gets low from the weight. After it was loaded on, I pulled out of the yard and went down the road a piece, and pulled over and stopped to tie down the load better. After that, as I was pulling out onto the road heading for home, I unavoidably hit a pot-hole in the road, and that's when the lights came on. It wasn't a very hard hit, but it was felt. When I was changing the speed sensor at the rear end, I noticed a, what looks like is a heat shield, that was extended out from the gas tank. I also noticed It has a sharp edge. Upon further examining the area, and considering the weight it was subjected to, I noticed that that sharp edge did cut a slice of the brakeline that was in the area, but it did not pierce the line. The line is re-inforced with a steel innner mesh barrier, like a hydraulic hose basically. And the wires to the sensor are also right there. So my suspicions lie there. But what to do? How to check what? I don't see anything obvious or disconnected wires, or anything. What do you think? I hope this made some sense to you. I await for your response.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is located in the area the diagram shows, does not have a bolt holding it on. It is a sensor with a two prong electrical input. And it comes off with a 15/16" wrench, and the whole Sensor turns to un-screw for it to come off. Nothing similar to the Speed Sensor that I changed located on the rear differential housing, far from it. Anyway, I changed it. Then I changed the front Brake Pads, and bled the front two wheels. That is as far as I got, for it was getting late, so I put the scanner to clear any existing codes, and to my surprise, Not One Code Alarm! BUT.....The lights are still on and the speedometer still does not work. I re-ran "the search for codes and it states "No Alarm Codes, System Pass". I DO NOT understand how this could be!!! The scanner states no alarms triggerd, but yet I have the Brake Light on and the ABS light on, and the speedometer does not work!!!! What the hell is going on here! I am begining to think it's not a sensor problem, but a possible a wire short??? or something of the nature, maybe a wire is not connecting somewhere??? I am open for suggestions. But before you do suggest, Allow me to explain how, or when I got the alarm, maybe we can figure it out..........I went to a town about 40 miles from my residence, and loaded up the back of the truck with a pallet of paper-trays which I use for my harvest. It is a very heavy load, and the back end really got low from the weight. After it was loaded on, I pulled out of the yard and went down the road a piece, about 1/4 mile, and pulled over and stopped to tie down the load better. All was O.K. Then, after securing the load, as I was pulling out onto the road heading for home, I unavoidably hit a pot-hole in the road, and that's when the lights came on. It wasn't a very hard hit, but it was felt. And it's been on ever since. (About 2 days now). When I was changing the speed sensor at the rear end, I noticed a, what looks like is a heat shield, that was extended out from the gas tank and right over the area of the sensor, the wires and Brake lines. I also noticed It has a sharp edge. Upon further examining the area, and considering the weight it was subjected to, I noticed that the sharp edge did cut a slice of the brakeline that was in the area, but it did not pierce the line. The line is re-inforced with a steel innner mesh barrier, like a hydraulic hose basically. And the wires to the sensor are also right there, but visually, they seem O.K. So my suspicions lie there. But what to do? How to check what? I don't see anything obviously bent or broken, or disconnected wires, or anything, just a slice on the brakeline. So..... What do you think? I hope this made some sense to you. I await for your response.

Sign,

Jimmy K.

This is odd the speed sensor should have fixed the problem. is this the one you replaced graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, that is the one replaced on the rear end. The one on the transmission does not look like this, it is completely different.
So its like these light are on but not affecting anything other than the speedometer does the cruise control work?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, it does light up, but does not engage.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

an added note.....I had just picked up an "check engine" light alarm. I will put the scanner on it and see what it says and get back to you.

ok
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will be back in a couple of minutes

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

O.K. when putting on the scanner, it reads code P0500, which relates to the speed sensor., but when I cleared all the codes, the P0500 did clear. but I am back to where I started, with no speedometer, and Brake and ABS lights still on.

The rear axle speed sensor produces an AC voltage, which is sent to the controller anti-lock brake (CAB). The CAB transforms this AC signal to a digital signal. The powertrain control module (PCM) sends 5 volts out on the vehicle speed signal wire to the CAB. The CAB pulses this 5 volts to ground in a frequency that increases with vehicle speed. The PCM transmits the vehicle speed to the instrument cluster over the CCD bus wires. If the sensor has too high of resistance which lowers the AC voltage output, the CAB may not recognize the weakened signal until the rear wheel speed is high enough to cause the sensor to produce a higher voltage. Therefore, the PCM gets the message that vehicle speed is 0 MPH until the CAB is able to recognize the signal from the speed sensor. To test the sensor, unplug the 2-wire connector on the speed sensor on the upper side of the rear differential housing. Measure the resistance of the speed sensor. If the resistance is higher than 2600 ohms, replace the speed sensor. Clear the codes from the CAB and PCM.You may have gotten a bad one. If OK, check the wiring harness for bad connectors and for opens and shorts.to this sensor for sure!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well, while I wait for a response from you, what I am going to do, or attempt to do, is check out the wiring, and trace it back as far as I can and see where it goes. I think I should end up at the PCM.......Right? Question......are the wires supposed to have power or does it have power while I'm driving? In other words, if I was to put a meter to it, will it show power or no power? I am talking bout the speed sensor at or on the rear end. Or is the sensor activated only while driving??
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, it sounds good, but I will need a step by step instructions on clearing the codes on the CAB and the PCM. If by using the scanner to clear the codes, no problem. I cleared all codes already using the scanner. That was done again just recently. But again......The scanner states "All codes have been Cleared" no code alarm exist. What I did notice is that when I clear the codes with the scanner, the ABS and the Brake lights don't even flicker or blink. Before, when using the scanner, when I cleared the codes, all of the lights would go off at least

temporarely, and after a few seconds, it would go back on if the problem was not corrected. But now, these two alarms don't go off even for a second! So I think there is something else going on here than just a bad sensor. I would like to know is how to check the wires that plug into the sensor. what am I looking for and how do I check them????

I believe its a problem with a wire from that speed sensor. There has to be a short somewhere or the connector is unplugged at the CAB. which is under the hood. The wires run there and to the speed sensor then to the PCM. So lets check the connector at the CAB Here is a image unplug it and ensure its not broken corroded or bad. Check all the connectors.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, Mr. Snapontech.......What is your recommendation on fixing this problem? I am open for suggestions on what to do to fix this problem. I do not want to spend any more money, for I have spent some already and have not even got close to fixing the problem. It cost me $22.50 for one sensor, $42 on another sensor, and $38 for you, and did not move one inch towards a remedy. I am at a loss. What is you suggestion? I will check back in an hour. Maybe, give it some thought, and get back to me..... O.K.?

I am sorry, I got your recommendation after I wrote this. I will go and do as you stated, and get back to you. It will be awhile, for I have to go and check on my workers. Itr will take about 2 hrs.

ok
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Greetings Mr. SnaponTech! Guess what?? You were right !!! I had suspected the area also, But the key word you mentioned that got me to thinking was check "ALL" the connectors. So I thought, before moving onto another area to check, complete the area I worked on, by checking ALL the connectors. Here is what I found.......The wires comming from CAB to the sensor, for some reason, has what I call a "pig-tail" connector. Basically, A short extension cord. One end plugs into the sensor and the other end plugs into the original wires comming from the front, the CAB I guess? Anyway, I did not check the connectors on this 5" long extension! and when I did, I found that

one one the male connectors was missing! My eyes grew wide open when I seen this! I took off the 5" extension, and pluged the original wires directly to the sensor, and WHALA!.... Everthing is off, and it's running Great!.... AWESOME! Anyway, I Thank You for pointing me in the right direction, and all of professional knowledge. I am Happy.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I now consider this case solved and closed.

Sign,

Jimmy K.