Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

1991 dodge: ram..overdrive..the TPS and the voltages are..throttle

I have 1991 dodge diesel ram 250 with 123,000 miles on it. The transmission is coming out of overdrive when I let up on the gas peddle at the speed of between 62 and 65 miles per hour. I checked the TPS and the voltages are correct over the range of the throttle. It will work fine for about 40 miles then it will start to jump out of overdrive.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.
Hi
How long has this been happening? How offten does this act up. After it does it once will it keep doing it? Can I get your vin #
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This started about a month ago when traveling with my 5th wheel travel trailer. It will go in and out of overdrive everytime now after it has been driven about 40 miles. vin # XXXXX
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.
Hi
Ok first check the fluid level. The dealer is recomending to use ATF+4 Tranny Fluid. I
or it could be the Overdrive Solenoid.
Component Location
Overdrive Control Module Behind RH Side Of I/P ( Instrument Panel)
The reson way it is acting up after you drive it 40 miles is the solenoid could be get hot and shutting down. I would lean more toward the problem being this.

You also might want to do a tranny service on this vehicle if you have not do this recently
.
If you have a button type for turning the overdrive on and off the switch could be be bad.
Let me know if I can help you with anything eles.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.