sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

if the oxygen sensor is bad will it cause the truck to run rough

Customer Question

Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Yes it can. The oxygen sensor plays a huge role in the amount of fuel that is injected when the engine is running in closed loop mode, a few minutes after starting the engine. If the oxygen sensor's signal is incorrect then it can definitely cause engine performance problems.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As long as I am giving the truck a lot of gas its alright but if just try to get up to speed say 55 after leaving a red light it starts vibrating like crazy btween 50 and 55 get to 55 and set cruise its alright but just with a little skip but if i get in the gas its fine

There are quite alot of things that will cause an engine to run rough. Have you checked for fault codes? What has been done to try to repair the problem?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have not checked for fault codes but before i just unhooked the battery and reset the computer and the engine light might not come back on for 2 or 3 months

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to see what fault codes are setting when the engine light comes on. Disconnecting the battery clears the important stored information necessary to diagnose the problem. It's very likely that whatever is turning the light on is related to the problem you are having.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is there anybody that checks the code for free
Most parts stores like Autozone do. They will read codes for free in the parking lot with a code reader.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
will they tell me what the code are and what they mean
Yes, they will tell what codes are set, the definition, and they should give you some possible causes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i got error codes po 301,302,303,304,305,306,307,308 and po441 can you tell me what these mean and what to do to fix these problems

The P030x are all misfire codes. They are most often the result of bad tune up components - plugs, wires, cap and rotor. They can also be caused by injectors, bad fuel, low fuel pressure, restricted exhaust, etc.

The P0441 is for the evaporative emissions system's purge solenoid, and is likely a bad purge solenoid or lack of vacuum to it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the truck just started running rough after i got gas last week would it help to fill up again and put injector cleaner in the tank and what do i need to do to fix the other and where is it located on the truck

The purge solenoid? It's at the left rear of the intake near the throttle body. Make sure it's vacuum lines are ok and if they are then it likely needs a purge solenoid.

If it started running bad directly after you got gas then it may very well be a gas problem. Filling it up along with a fuel additive like HEET would be a good idea.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
will lucas fuel injector cleanor work
That's not going to disperse any water that is in the fuel. I would recommend a fuel treatment over an injector cleaner.
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how hard is it to replace the purge solenoid
It's not hard to replace. Replacing it just entails removing it's vacuum lines, unplugging it and sliding it off it's bracket on the intake.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what does this solenoid usually cost
A purge solenoid runs about $40.