Kevin
Kevin, Dodge Technician
Experience:  15 years working at a Chrysler dealer Master Tech Owner Of Kevins Mobile Repair Atlanta
10592253

2002 Dodge Ram 1500: 4.7l..wont start..I jump circuits..starter relay

Customer Question

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7l won't start. Everything has power. Will start when I jump circuits on the starter relay.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 years ago.

Kevin :

welcome to just answers my name is Kevin

Kevin :

well teh truck stay running after u jump it?

Customer:

Yes

Kevin :

do u have a test light or volt meter handy?

Customer:

I have a volt meter

Kevin :

ok I am sending u a wire diagram I want u to have some on start the truck with teh key and see if U get voltage on the pin 85 on the starter relay under the hood

Kevin :

is this something U can do?

Customer:

nothing on 85 12.3 on 86

Kevin :

when u turn the key u get no voltage on 85?

Kevin :

86 should be a ground not voltage but also depends on how u hook up the meter to

Customer:

standing in front of the truck is 85 the top or bottom

Kevin :

what does the relay look like square or rectangle

Customer:

square. the bottom is showing 12.3 the top 0

Kevin :

here is a pin out of the relay

Kevin :

u can flip over the relay and the numbers are on there as well

Customer:

my relay the 85 and 86 are flip floped

Kevin :

they are just relative to how u look at them

Kevin :

when u hold the relay facing down then look at teh relay and when facing down when the relay goes in that will be the pin u are looking for

Customer:

my relay has them marked. 86 is reading .40 and 85 is 0

Kevin :

ok just so we are going correctly U have the volt meter hooked up black on the - batter cable and the red pushed in pin 85 u might need a paper clip to make a good contact as well. When the ref prob is attached to the paper clip and some one turned the key to start it u get no voltage reading correct?

Customer:

sorry needed someone to turn the key all the way 86 is at 0 and 85 went up to .5 and back to .38 and stayed

Kevin :

ok so no 12 volts next go to the ign switch inside remove the cover and find the yellow wire and do the same thing when trying to start it U want to ahve 12 volts on that wire

Customer:

thats in the steering column?

Kevin :

yep

Kevin :

I will be back in like 20 min gonna run out to get some food BRB

Customer:

ok

Customer:

is it a yellow wire going into a harness on the left side of steering wheel?

Kevin :

ok back

Kevin :

yes the ignition switch will have several wires coming out of it

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.