Mr. T
Mr. T, Chrysler Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Level 3 Certified in A/C, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, and Driveablity (NVH)
20232300

2005 dodge neon sxt: vibration..neutral..gear and accelerating

i have a 2005 dodge neon sxt 2.0L V4
The car has a strong vibration while revving up the engine in park and neutral. Also when in gear and accelerating. I replaced top and bottom motor mounts and problem still continues. Next thing i checked the drive axles. While in park one axle could be turned all the away around by hand. The other axle had little play, but soon after did the same thing. Could this and the vibration be related? I plugged a code reader and scanner to it and no problems were found.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mr. T replied 5 years ago.

Mr. T :

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. You have started off right by replacing the two mounts that are the usual cause for this. Have you checked the trans mount aswell? I have seen this one to be an issue as well. And does the engine move alot if you hold the brake and press the gas to see the engine torque forwards or back?

Mr. T :

If you are turning the wheels, there will be some play in them before the cv joints catch up as well as the diff in the transmission. But Id say there shouldnt be more than a couple of inches of turn before you feel resistance from the transmission.

Customer:

engine doesn't move by much

Mr. T :

More than 2 "

Mr. T :

?

Customer:

maybe just one

Customer:

it doesn't rock back and forth

Mr. T :

Ok, has the vehicle been in any kind of accident that you know of. I know that these are very finnecky and prone to vibrations if any of the body clip in the front is off at all

Customer:

i bought the car from someone who bought it used from a dealer

Mr. T :

Soooooo not sure then huh?

Customer:

no

Customer:

i noticed some screws are not the same on the air filter housing

Customer:

the radiator has lots of play

Customer:

the paint doesn't look original

Customer:

so i assume work was done to it

Customer:

maybe was rebuilt

Mr. T :

That could be a good determination that some things have been repaired. Since the issue you are saying is occurring in park and neutral the most the things that it most leads to be would be first mounts ( which you have replaced and seemed to rule out), an inner trans issue, which is not usual for this or misaligned body work in the front clip.

Mr. T :

he best bet would be to take it to a good body shop to see if they are able to do anything with the chassis bender for your front end to get it better in line to get rid of the vibration and ask them if it looks absolutely obvious to be out of whack.

Customer:

when i bought the car i drove the car back home assuming i just needed to replace motor mounts

Customer:

it drove like a normal car would

Customer:

but the vibration was there the whole time

Customer:

was felt stronger when accelerating from a stop

Mr. T :

and that seems more like a bent frame more than a trans issue.

Mr. T :

You did what I would have done first in replacing the mounts.

Customer:

i had the car up on jack stands

Customer:

i put it in drive and reverse

Customer:

and the vibration was pretty much the same

Customer:

does that rule out a suspension problem?

Mr. T :

Yes

Mr. T :

I would check to see if any hard lines such as ac or power steering arent vibrating on the frame or inner fenders as well.

Mr. T :

Be sure to check all hard plastic lines as well.

Customer:

ok thanks