George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master 15+ years
13574682

How do I test my blower motor resistor in my dodge mega cab? 5.9L

Category: Dodge
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

If you have a 12 volt testlight or a voltmeter I can help you check the blower circuit.

Let me know so I can help

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have a digital volt / ogm meter
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

Great,

All along the way look for burnt or melted connections

Unplug the blower motor and see if you have 12 volts at the pink/light green stripe wire with the key on and if you do plug it in and check at the dark blue/yellow stripe wire from the wire side to see if you see the same reading.

Use a paperclip or straight pin to probe inside the connector to make contact if your meter leads will not do it.

If you have power through the blower it should run on high even without the blower resistor. The speed control switch provides the ground for the motor.

Let me know what you find and we can move on from there.

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Whoa.. I have the resistor in front of me with the meter... The truck is about 15o yards from me...How will this work with me running back and forth?... All the wires are taped up.. surel;y you cant stay around while I run back an forth???
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

I will be here for a couple more hours and your question never closes. Just login to the Just Answer site and make a post to THIS question with the results and I will be notified that you have posted.

Let me know what you find

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok... When I went to "Unplug" the blower motor, all I saw was a two wire (1blu&yellow; 1 blue) Is the plug your speaking of viewable from laying on the floor board? or do I have to take the dash apart? how many wires are on the plug your speaking of?
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

When you look up to the blower motor you don't have the pink/light green wire just the dark blue/yellow?

And there is a Blue wire running to the motor?

Follow the wiring from the blower resistor and tell me the wire colors there.

This has a rotary switch for the blower speed with 4 speeds?

Let me know

Thanks

Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

OK, I see you have 2005 wiring, treat the blue wire as the pink/blue wire and let me know if you have power to it with the key on then plug it into the blower and see if you have power at the dark blue/yellow wire.

Turn the blower switch to the high speed position and measure the dark blue/yellow wire again and let me know what you find

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes just 1 blue&yellow and 1 blue going to fan motor, total of two wires. The resistor has a total of four wires... they are all blue but each with either a yellow, brown(black?), pink and then lastly a purple. it does have a 4 level switch. I removed the motor and put 12volts to it and it did run
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

Ok do you have power on the blue wire?

Did you plug the connector in and see if that power is carried through the blower on the dark blue/yellow stripe wire with the speed switch on 4??

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok... I plugged new resistor in, then plugged in fan... I switched the speed switch from low to high (rapidly) numerous times and the fan worked. When I tried to just go through the speeds one at a time it would hesitate then just not work... It would not work again until I unplugged the fan motor each time it stopped and used the voltmeter to see if it had 12.4 volts on the solid blue to a ground source. Then inturn each time I would go thru this process it would work the same way.... except for if I tried each speed separately it would lock out again.
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

Sounds like the switch contacts are burnt. The procedure below shows how to remove the control head to replace the switch.

Click here for procedure.

You can put the meter on the dark blue/yellow wire and leave the blower connected then see the voltage jump and fall as you move the switch to the high speed position, if it goes back to 12 volts when you are on 2 or 3 or even 1 and 4 and the blower does not run you have high resistance in the switch and it needs to be replaced.

You can find a used control through car-part.com or the dealer should be able to supply a new one.

let me know how I can help you

Thank you

George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master 15+ years