Neal, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  30 years experience in Dodge Chrysler and Plymouth

2000 Dakota: reliable..What issues are found with 4X4 being

Customer Question

How reliable is the 2000 Dakota? What issues are found with 4X4 being on all the time?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

I practically never see any questions on here about the transfer case or differentials on those. They seem to be very reliable with a much lower than average failure rate. I would not be worried about that at all unless there is some reason to be concerned like odd noises and such.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Neal:

Thank you for your response. Is this a good vehicule for traveling long distances?

What other major maintenance can I expect to see?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Neal:

What about the A/C and the rear end differential, are there any problems? How much would these repairs go for?

Thanks Renee

Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

I almost never hear anything about the rear differential, and the best solution for a bad one is a good used unit with parts and labor less tha $800, and the a/c seems to be a non-issue but if a compressor needs to be replaced the bill is also going to be around $800 for compressor, drier, refigerant and labor.