sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

98 ram 1500: fuel pump relay..wont start..my fuel,oil pressure..fuses

I had to replace a fuel pump relay in my 98 ram 1500 and the pump works but it won't start. My dash cluster won't register my fuel,oil pressure,it's like something shorted out. I checked all my fuses. Any advice would be great.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

For whatever reason the powertrain control module (PCM) is down. The PCM is the module that controls all engine functions.

The problem could be internal to the PCM or an external electrical problem. If the PCM loses a power or ground feed, the sensor ground circuit shorts to voltage, or a 5v reference feed shorts to ground these things will all take the PCM down. Possible causes for external issues would be a bad ignition switch, wiring, internally shorted sensor, etc.

Some electrical testing will need to be done to determine what is happening. The powers and grounds will need to be checked (preferably load tested), and the 5v and sensor ground circuits need to be tested for shorts. If everything check out ok yet the PCM is non responsive then it will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What's the easiest way to check to see if the PCM is working?
The PCM isn't working, that's why you have having these symptoms.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can I swap a 1996 PCM that works, for the one in my 1998
If the part numbers are the same then they can be swapped. There will be a part number tag on the front of each of them.