Neal
Neal, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  30 years experience in Dodge Chrysler and Plymouth
17294534

2006 Dodge Charger SRT8: acceleration..vibration..a hill in neutral I

I have a 2006 Dodge Charger SRT8 with 160k miles on it. When I acceleration over 40 mph it has a major vibration throughout the car until I let off the gas. If I coast down a hill in neutral I have no vibration at all at high speeds. When I jack up the rear end of the car I have slight up and down movement but not side to side. So I just replaced both rear wheel hubs and it still has the vibration. I also noticed a few cracks in the rubber unit that connects the drive shaft to the rear end. What else do you think it might be and how can I test to see if it's bad or not?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, I'm Neal and I am here to assist you.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions, it is part of the process.

First here is some Important info on the propeller shaft so we can be on the same page as far as terms.

SHAFT-PROPELLER
DESCRIPTION
REAR

WARNING: Due to propeller shaft imbalance concerns, rear propeller shaft service is limited to center support bearing and coupler replacement only. The rear segment single-cardan universal joint is not serviceable.
graphic

Both RWD and AWD models utilize a two-piece rear propeller shaft design to transmit torque to the rear axle assembly. This two-piece design consists of:
^ Front and rear shaft segments
^ Center support bearing/bracket assembly
^ Single-Cardan u-joint at rear segment/bearing interface
^ Rubber couplers at transmission and rear axle flanges
^ Fore-mounted vibration damper (V6 Models)

The front shaft segment is designed with a collapsing feature, consisting of two concentric tubes secured by shear pins. This feature allows the tubes to telescope up to 200 mm (8 inch) during certain impacts.

The flexible rubber couplers at the transmission and axle flanges absorb vibration. The low-travel Single-Cardan universal joint permits the minimal axial and angular variations that occur with independent rear suspension.

Additionally, models equipped with the V6 engine utilize a vibration damper which is designed to absorb and isolate driveline vibrations and harmonics. This damper is mounted to the front segment, sandwiched between the coupler and propeller shaft.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I will jack up the car and check all of this out.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Looks like I have up and down play where the bearing bracket is. Also I can twist the drive shaft about a 1/4 inch at the transmisson.

Could the bearing bracket cause the vibiration?

Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

The play in the trans as far as rotating the shaft is normal.

The play at the bearing/ bracket should be the issue. Imagine that moving up and down under a load as the driveshaft turns.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I will replace it and give it a try!

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Looks like I have a tear in one of the boots on the half shaft that goes into the deferential. Is there a way to see if the half shaft is bad?
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
Just manually feeling for play, If there is still grease in there and no dirt they are usually fine.