Matt Hardy
Matt Hardy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Tech, ASE L1, Jeep/Chrysler Dealer Tech, 18 yrs exp
24870662

Dodge Grand Caravan SXT rear and side doors do not open automatically

rear and side doors do not open automatically on 2005 dodge caravan
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Matt Hardy replied 3 years ago.

Matt Hardy :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer, my name is Matt.

Matt Hardy :

Van has power sliding doors and power liftgate, correct?

Matt Hardy :

Do they work at all?

Matt Hardy :

Will they close with power?

Customer:

yes,no,no

Matt Hardy :

Did they all stop working at the same time? Or one by one?

Customer:

side doors have not been working for months,rear power liftgate stop working today

Matt Hardy :

One more question....do the doors work manually?

Customer:

yes

Matt Hardy :

The sliding doors have 2 common problems. The ground wire to the door breaks inside the plastic chain. The latch fails electrically.

Matt Hardy :

On the liftgate, the common problem is the latch.

Matt Hardy :

Have you checked all the fuses yet?

Customer:

no

Matt Hardy :

Let me see if I can get you the fuse numbers to check

Matt Hardy :

Is there any other electrical problems with the van that might be related?

Customer:

side doors do not unlock/lock automatically

Customer:

remote entry does not lock/unlock side doors

Matt Hardy :

fuse 31 and 32 (both 40 amp) in the fusebox by the battery

Matt Hardy :

those fuses send power to the control modules for the doors and liftgate

Matt Hardy :

Full Size Image

Customer:

will check these fuses

Matt Hardy :

OK, check those...really, check them all. If the fuses are OK, try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes to reset everything. Beyond that, you will need to get the dealer scan tool connected to diagnose this. The doors and liftgate are electronically controlled, so the scan tool is needed to diagnose the systems.

Matt Hardy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Auto Tech, ASE L1, Jeep/Chrysler Dealer Tech, 18 yrs exp