Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

Dodge PT Cruiser Windshield wipers quit working on 2006 PT

Customer Question

Windshield wipers quit working on 2006 PT Cruiser. The Stealer says it's the TIPM and wants $1000 to replace. Could it just need to be flashed? I'm NOT forking over a grand to fix the wipers! All other components are functional. No issues anywhere except for wipers. The wipers will move a fraction of an inch if the stalk control is turned on and off. Other then that they are inop. Any suggestions? I'm mechanically inclined enough to do repairs, just don't have the software or diagnostic equipment.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer. Let me see if I can help you with this. The problem may actually be in the turn signal/headlight switch. It contains electronics that send the switch messages to the TIPM. If the problem is the TIPM then flashing it will not fix the wiper problem. It will need to be replaced. But if I were you I would at least try a new left (head lamp turn signal) multifunction switch first. I see those go out all the time.
I hope this helps and let me know if you need more assistance with this.

Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience: ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Chris,

Thanks for the information. I know that the right side wiper module plugged into the left side headlight module but did not think there would be anything wrong with the left side switch since all lights and signals were functioning. I will see what I can do about replacing the left side multi switch and see if that solves the problem. From all the blogs and information I've read, the Chrysler TIPM seems to be have been a very bad idea. Either that or the dealers are ripping people for unnecessary TIPM replacement.

Expert:  Chris replied 3 years ago.
Well I do see alot of TIPM's fail but have also seen problems with that left multifunction switch. It is a lot cheaper to replace this switch and hopefully this is the problem.

Chris