Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Dodge Caravan SE The other day my all shift indicator lights

The other day my all shift indicator lights came on when I put it in d for drive, when I put it back in park cut the car off then turned it back on everything was ok. This morning when leaving for work the mal function indicator light came on and while driving I noticed the transmission was not shifting. I was reading on line where some stated that the muti-pin plugs may need cleaning??? What is your suggestion?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how they work. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence/clues from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with.

Do you know the code number or numbers in the computer?

IS the transmission stuck in 2nd gear?

DO the gauges work correctly?

Can I get your VIN?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The VIN number is XXXXX

What gauges are you referring to?

If the transmission is stuck it is in 1st gear...when you start off and up to 50 mps it does not shift gears

How do I find the computer numbers

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the detailed reply! It helps out a lot!

I am talking about the gauges on the instrument cluster. SOmetimes when a module goes bad on your vehicle, it will cause the transmission to go into limp mode and cause the gauges to stopped working at the same time.

It sounds to me like you transmission is in limp mode because of electrical malfunction. This is pretty common on this vehicle. Sometimes the transmission speed sensors goes bad or sometimes the transmission solenoid pack goes bad causing this issue.

You will need to start by having your computer scanned for codes. If it is a transmission speed sensor code, I would start there. If it is a solenoid code, I would go that route.

If you have a module communication code in the computer, your TCM or even another module on board may have gone bad causing this issue you are describing
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My son-n-law told me to turn the switch key on /off twice but don't start vech and got these codes p1684 and p0700.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
YUP! THat sounds about right!

Are you saying that the engine does not start?

Does the TPS have 5 volts with the key on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

engine will start but to get these code you don't want to start engine

I know the code p1684 means battery has been disconnect within last 50 starts which is not true.

so where do I need to go from here?

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
So our staying that the engine starts and runs just fine..correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes, the engine runs fine but it does not shift gears from the time you start it up to 50 miles per hour...the engine sounds like it is stuck in low gear with high rpms
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. good!

Your next step is to pull codes from the transmission control module. P0700 just means there is a code stored within the TCM. If you cannot communicate with a good scanner, the TCM could just very well be bad. If this is the case, you will just need to check powers and grounds going into the TCM before replacing it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
other places on the internet that I have been reading tells to check a certain # fuse in the power distribution center under the hood along with certain # fuse in the fuse box under the dash....do you know what ## these would be for my van?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
I can sure tell you if you tell me what circuits do not have power. There are dozens of things that can cause the TCM not to power up.

I can pull a wiring diagram for you for the tcm and take a look..
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
According to my references, it is the 20 amp fuse number 15 in the integrated power module under the hood.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no fuse to check under the dash?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay!

The fuse that powers up the TCM is located under the hood.

NO fuses under the dash should cause this.. but yes.. you can double check to be sure that they all are good!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is there a transmission input sensor and a output sensor

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
YES.. both!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
replaced both sensors but problem still is not fixed...Next suggestion???
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I guess the next thing to replace is the solenoid, where is this part located at, uder the battery somewhere?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.

Hello!

Sorry for the delay!

Are you looking for the locations for the shift solenoid? If so, which one?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If the sensors didn't fix the problem what else could it be that is causing the problem?

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.

Which problem are you talking about?

The indicator light? The shifting issue or the TCM not waking up?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the indicator light tells you there is a problem. I'm asking you if the sensors were replaced and that did not fix the shifting issue and it's still stuck in limp mode 2nd gear what would be the next thing that possible could be the problem that is causing the shifting issue?

Are you a mechanic?

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Sorry for the delay!

An internal transmission problem will cause this, a bad TCM or computer on board your vehicle, an electrical or even wiring issue as well as low or incorrect transmission fluid level.