sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

Dodge RAM 1500 To clean the throttle body on my 2010 4.7 Dodge

To clean the throttle body on my 2010 4.7 Dodge RAM, Can I just use a can of CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner?
Les B.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you want to clean the throttle body yourself either use a little carb cleaner or brake cleaner on a rag. With the engine off open the throttle body by hand and use cleaner on a rag to remove buildup from the throttle body bore and edges of the blade. You won't want to spray any cleaner directly on the throttle body - spraying a cleaner into it can damage it in a couple of ways. It can remove the protective coatings from the blade and bore, and the cleaner can seep into the internals of the electronic throttle body and ruin it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This is my first time in one of the late model car/truck. My hay day was back in the 70's. I'm going to look up some kind of unit/parts back down to have a little better ideal of what I'm going to find and how fare I need to take the trucks intake apart in order to clean it by hand.

Les B.

You don't take the intake apart to clean the throttle body, the throttle body is what lets air into the intake. All you'll need to do is find the duct that goes from the air filter box to the engine. Follow it to the engine and you'll find that the duct connects to the throttle body. Remove this duct and you'll be looking at the throttle body and the blade inside, this is where you want to clean if the throttle body is dirty.