snapontech
snapontech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  2 Year Automotive Degree 2 years hands on technical training and 7 Years hands on learned from the best.
49697172

Dodge ram I have a evap system leak on a 2004 dodge ram hemi

I have a evap system leak on a 2004 dodge ram hemi engine 5.7
Category: Dodge
Expert:  snapontech replied 3 years ago.

snapontech :

Welcome to Justanswer

Customer:

HI

snapontech :

Hello so are you receiving a code?

Customer:

yes I have recieved a code stateing "small evap leak"

Customer:

I replaced the fuel cap with a factory original

Customer:

reset the light and it still comes back

Customer:

I even replaced the EGR with a new one

snapontech :

What is the code # XXXXX you still have it

Customer:

yes let me pull it again

snapontech :

sweet makes it easier to look it up for me

Customer:

P0422

Customer:

This has been bothering me for 3 weeks

snapontech :

One moment

snapontech :

I show this as a medium leak detected

Customer:

my scanner reads small evap leak

snapontech :

Not sure why its saying that. Anyways if the gas cap has been replaced then there has to be a leak in the EVAP

snapontech :

So do you have a smoke machine?

Customer:

no i do not

Customer:

I tried taking it to the dealer and they told me to change some parts

Customer:

I changed those parts and the leak is still showing

snapontech :

Well one thing you can do without it is inspect the lines connections and try to find a crack bad connection ect

Customer:

which lines should i inspect?

snapontech :

Yeah thats the first thing to do

snapontech :

You will inspect the hard plastic evap lines I will get a picture if I can of the location

Customer:

are those the only lines that cause evap leaks?

snapontech :

But I would call around to the shops and find one that will do the smoke test for you

Customer:

Do the dodge dealerships provide a smoke test?

snapontech :

Those lines and if the purge solenoid is acting up

snapontech :

yes

snapontech :

they will charge more to do the same task

Customer:

ok i would greatly appreciate the pictures

Customer:

should i go to dodge and ask specifically for a smoke test?

snapontech :

Yes

snapontech :

they know what it is

snapontech :

Every decent shop has one

Customer:

I wonder why they did not do it in the first place or even offer it?

snapontech :

Alot of times its a the gas cap

Customer:

what exactly does the smoke test do?

snapontech :

They run smoke through the evap system if there is a leak it will show

Customer:

ok sounds very simple

snapontech :

Sometimes the hard lines will get a small crack

snapontech :

Yes it is they will put it up on the lift and find the leak pretty quickly

Customer:

so none of the evap leaking is because of any soft lines correct?

snapontech :

No

snapontech :

So they should have dont this in the first place but most of the time its the gas cap so thats understandable

Customer:

yea but they charged me for an inspection and reccomeded changing parts before they even did a smoke test

Customer:

should i complain and tell them to not charge me this time and that they should have done a smoke test initially?

Customer:

they have not even offered to do a smoke test?

snapontech :

I would. Tell them you want a discount on the diag since it was wrong

Customer:

ok is there any other recommendations you would advise me to do?

snapontech :

I want to give you a picture of some of the evap components

Full Size Image

snapontech :

But it should be pretty simple if they do a smoke test and fix the leak

snapontech :

Let me know if there is anything else I can do. If this has been helpful please take a moment to press ACCEPT. Thanks in advance have a great day. Danny

Customer:

you have been very helpful

Customer:

in the picture you sent me which numbers should i check

Customer:

for leaks

snapontech :

I would just go through the system and look for any cracks or breaks in the connections

Customer:

ok in the diagram which ones are the hard lines?

snapontech :

All of the small lines

Customer:

ok perfect thank you

snapontech :

No problem. Please take a moment to press ACCEPT. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks Danny

Customer:

also how can i reach you to update you with any further details?

snapontech :

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-automotivedoctor/ There is my direct link or you can go to my questions and go to this questions and reply

snapontech :

Have a great day and thanks in advance for the ACCEPT its greatly appreciated. Danny

snapontech, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 2 Year Automotive Degree 2 years hands on technical training and 7 Years hands on learned from the best.