Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience:  24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist

Dodge Dakota ST lower front shock bolt hard to take out on

lower front shock bolt hard to take out on 05 both sides tried air wrench liquid wrench and heat bolt will not move
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer Dodge my name isXXXXX realize that all my answers are based solely on the info you provide me......

In a situation like this, when you've tried the things that you mentioned, then you're alternative is going to be cutting the bolt off so you can remove the shock and then you'll need to replace the mounting hardware.

The problem is the bolt is siezed to the metal bushing in the shock.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nuts are off the bolts and did cut away a shock to relieve mechanical bind. I tried to drive the bolt out with 2lb sledge and still no movement. Do not want to damage bushing or cup. I even tried an air chisel on bolt, but no movement. Is there any other trick to take bolt out.
You've exhausted all the options that we would be trying in the shop, so cutting the bolt is the last resort.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried Freeze Off spray, I cut the bolt, I used the cold chisel and 2lb sledge, I tried to drill it....and it is still frozen in there. Is there anything else to do without damaging the bushing and gromet? If I need to change lower control arms, can I use new ones and same allignment markings from old control arms? Also, do you know where I can buy new bolts?
Wow, you sure have a battle on your hands. Having a look at the parts catalog, the bushing is not sold separately from Chrysler, so it looks like you will need to just change out the control arm.

The control arm and bolt will be available from your local dealer and you can use the existing marks to get the alignment close, but it is always advisable to have a proper alignment done after this type of repair............saves having to buy tires prematurely.