Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

2000 Dodge Durango: 4.7L..140,000 miles..transmission fluid

I have a 2000 Dodge Durango,4.7L, 140,000 miles. I need to change the transmission fluid. Is there an advantage taking it to a shop, do they flush it? Or will I achieve the same results under my shade tree?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

Most of the shops are flushing them these days, but that is not always the best thing to do. I personally would rather replace the filter as well. There are ways to flush it with 2 buckets and some long rubber hoses. Then again, if it has not been done on a regular basis it could be worse than just leaving it alone. If the fluid has been changed in the past, then I would do a fluid and filter change on it.

Fluid and Filter Replacement

Refer to the Maintenance Schedules in Maintenance, for proper service intervals. The fluid capacity of the 45RFE is approximately 13.25 liters (14.0 quarts).

REMOVAL

(1) Hoist and support vehicle on safety stands.
(2) Place a large diameter shallow drain pan beneath the transmission pan.
(3) Remove bolts holding front and sides of pan to transmission.
(4) Loosen bolts holding rear of pan to transmission.
(5) Slowly separate front of pan away from transmission allowing the fluid to drain into drain pan.
(6) Hold up pan and remove remaining bolt holding pan to transmission.
(7) While holding pan level, lower pan away from transmission.
(8) Pour remaining fluid in pan into drain pan.

graphic

(9) Remove screws holding filter to valve body (Fig. 36).
(10) Separate filter from valve body and oil pump and pour fluid in filter into drain pan.
(11) Remove and discard the oil filter seal from the bottom of the oil pump.
(12) Using Oil Filter Wrench 8321, remove the cooler return filter from the transmission.
(13) Dispose of used trans fluid and filter properly.

INSPECTION
Inspect bottom of pan and magnet for excessive amounts of metal. A light coating of clutch material on the bottom of the pan does not indicate a problem unless accompanied by a slipping condition or shift lag. If fluid and pan are contaminated with excessive amounts or debris, refer to Testing and Inspection.

CLEANING

(1) Using a suitable solvent, clean pan and magnet.
(2) Using a suitable gasket scraper, clean original sealing material from surface of transmission case and the transmission pan.

INSTALLATION

(1) Install a new oil filter seal into the bottom of the oil pump.

NOTE: Do not attempt to install the seal onto the oil filter first and then into the oil pump. An unsatisfactory seal between the oil pump and filter will result, allowing air to be drawn into the pump.

(2) Place replacement filter in position on valve body and into the oil pump.
(3) Install screws to hold filter to valve body (Fig. 36). Tighten screws to 4.5 Nm (40 in. lbs.) torque.
(4) Install new cooler return filter onto the transmission. Torque the filter to 14.12 Nm (125 in. lbs.).
(5) Place bead of Mopar(r) RTV sealant onto the transmission case sealing surface.
(6) Place pan in position on transmission.
(7) Install screws to hold pan to transmission. Tighten bolts to 11.8 Nm (105 in. lbs.) torque.
(8) Lower vehicle and fill transmission with Mopar(r) ATF +4, type 9602 fluid.

Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech