Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

My air conditioning not to blow cool air when I..50 mph..compressor

Customer Question

What causes my air conditioning not to blow cool air when I'm traveling below 50 mph or sitting at a traffic light? I was told that it was not taking the freon. I already had the compressor and condenser replaced last summer, and it was still not cooling properly.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 5 years ago.
Hi, my name is Tim, if it doesnt cool at low speeds, then it is building high pressures in the system, and this is usually caused by a bad fan clutch on the fan, when you are going over 55 mph, you dont need the fan, the wind at thatb speed will cool it, check the fan clutch on the fan and replace if its bad,Tim
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just had fan clutch replaced when it was "running hot". It's no longer overheating, but it's still not cooling.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 5 years ago.
if you are at an idle, can you bring the rpm's up to about 2000, and does it cool then?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for waiting. I took my truck for a test drive. It did cool slightly more at 2000 rpm's than sitting miserably at an idle.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 5 years ago.
ok, have you checked the pressures on the system with gauges yet?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Lol. Now I'm in over my head. I'm just a pregnant lady who pays attention to what mechanics say. No, I haven't checked pressures on the system with guages.

Pep Boys said they ran several tests and it wasn't overheating when I brought it in to them. However, my temperature guage kept going up more than usual. I was scared that I'd blow the engine, so I would park it, check the coolant levels, and add more as needed. The mechanic said he found nothing but some slight resistance. Whatever that means... That led him to replace the fan clutch. That's when the temperature gauge was back to normal. I asked him if that had anything to do with the air conditioning not cooling, and he told me that it was not directly associated with that.

What should I ask for if I take it to a mechanic about the air?

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 5 years ago.
you need to first have the freon level checked, and if its ok, then check to see if the pressures are rising to high, so it wont cool,Tim
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've had the freon levels checked numerous times. What pressures are you speaking of specifically? I think I have done this. If the pressures are ok, then what?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 5 years ago.
WE NNED TO KNOW WHAT THE PRESSURES ARE ON THE LOW AND HIGH SIDES, WHEN RUNNING, IT IS NECCESSARY WHEN DIAGNOSING THIS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK. I'll have the pressures checked today and get back to you with that information. Do pressures tend to vary between extremely hot days versus overcast days? I'm asking because it's overcast today, and it will seem like my air is running great because it's not as hot outside. But when the sun is shining, forget it...

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 5 years ago.
yes, it will effect the pressures, but if we know the pressures, even if its overcast, it will help,Tim
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Great. I'll get back to you.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 5 years ago.
let me know,Tim