Neal
Neal, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  30 years experience in Dodge Chrysler and Plymouth
17294534

Dodge RAM 1500 4x4 What type and weight engine oil should

Customer Question

What type and weight engine oil should I put in my 2010 ram 1500 hemi?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Please feel free to ask follow up questions, it is part of the process.

SAE 5W-20, API Certified and always use a name brand of course.

Anything else I can help with?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Engine has 9,000 miles on it and it has developed a ticking noise when first starts and is cold. I have read about this problem with the hemi engine on the internet. Lots of theories about what the cause is but no one really mentions any solutions. Was wondering if oil type may play a role?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The engine has 9,000 miles on it and it has developed a ticking noise when first starts and is cold. Have read about this problem with the hemi engine on the internet, many theories about the cause but no one really suggests any solutions. Was wondering if oil type may play a role?

Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

It sounds like you have the piston slap issue. Some people have had luck with some additives, but that only reduces the noise and does nothing to solve the issue.

I assume you bought this new, what does the dealer have to say about it?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have not adressed the matter with them yet and yes it was new with warranty. Just wanted some background before I did so.
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
I would start the process with them and laying the groundwork for returning it under the lemon law if possible.