Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience:  24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist
12104952

Dodge Grand Caravan Sport How do I replace the rack and pinion

How do I replace the rack and pinion unit on a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer Dodge my name isXXXXX realize that all my answers are based solely on the info you provide me......

1. Remove cap from power steering fluid reservoir.
  2. Using a siphon pump, remove as much fluid as possible from the power steering fluid reservoir. Use care not to damage the filter mesh below the fluid surface.

CAUTION: Locking the steering column in the straight-ahead position will prevent the clockspring from being accidentally over-extended when the steering column is disconnected from the intermediate steering coupler.

3. Position the steering wheel in the STRAIGHT-AHEAD position. Lock the steering wheel in place using a steering wheel holding tool.
  4. With the vehicle on the ground, disconnect the steering column shaft coupler from the steering gear intermediate coupler
  5. Raise vehicle.
  6. Remove front wheel and tire assemblies.
  7. Remove front emissions vapor canister.
  8. Remove a single hose at power steering cooler and allow fluid to drain.
  9. Remove 2 bolts attaching power steering cooler to cradle crossmember reinforcement
  10. On both sides of vehicle, remove nut attaching outer tie rod end to steering knuckle Remove nut by holding tie rod end stud with a socket while loosening and removing nut with wrench.
  11. Remove bolts fastening leak detection pump to cradle crossmember reinforcement.
  12. Remove both outer tie rods from steering knuckles, using Puller, Special Tool C-3894–A
  13. Remove the lower control arm rear bushing retainer bolts located on each side of each lower control arm rear bushing.

NOTE: The bolts fastening the cradle crossmember reinforcement are of two different thread sizes. Note the location of the various sizes.

14. Remove the bolts attaching the cradle crossmember reinforcement to the front suspension cradle crossmember. Remove the 2 bolts fastening the reinforcement and rear of cradle crossmember to the body of the vehicle. Remove lower rear bushings, then the reinforcement.
  15. If the vehicle is equipped with All-Wheel-Drive, remove the power transfer unit ).
  16. Remove tube nuts and power steering pressure and return hoses from the power steering gear .
  17. Remove the 3 bolts and nuts mounting the steering gear to the front suspension cradle

NOTE: The next step must be done to allow the removal of the steering gear from the front suspension cradle. The steering gear can not be removed from the vehicle with the intermediate coupler attached to the steering gear.

18. Lower steering gear from suspension cradle enough to allow access to the intermediate coupler roll pin . Install Remover/Installer Special Tool 6831A through the center of the roll pin, securing with the knurled nut . Hold threaded rod stationary while turning nut, this will pull the roll pin out of the intermediate coupler.
  19. Separate the coupler from the shaft of the steering gear.
  20. Remove the power steering gear from the vehicle.