sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

Magnum: The timing belt..wont start..whining sound..jump

Customer Question

The timing belt on my 06 magnum broke and cut off on me I got it home tore down everything got it all timed and torqued and put back together and the car still won't start I just hear a whining sound like the starter is going and the serp belt moves but kind of slow I even tried to jump it and it's still the same I don't know what to do next please help
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Does it seem like the engine is turning over freely with little resistance?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can put a socket on center pulley and turn it all I went two revolutions like the book told me it's a little effort cut feels normal and heard no valves tap or anything. I think there is the normal resistance

As you turn the engine with a ratchet can you feel six distinctive times where it nearly quits turning?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes

Can you explain exactly how you put the engine in time?

Have you checked for fault codes?

It was running fine before the belt broke?

Nothing was done besides replace the belt?

What were you doing when the belt broke?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I lined up the lines on the two cams and lines up the triangle on pto with the top dead center mark Yes I checked fault codecs but they were engine misfires and something about right bank something I just cleared them The car ran great till this happened. I was driving down i5 when it happened I didn't hear anything the car just cut off I rolled to side of the road and tried to start it and it just made the same whining noise like the starter just winding up And no other work done but what it takes to do the belt

When you crank the engine now it sounds pretty much the same as it did after the belt broke?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there a fuel cut off switch or something that might have tripped

No, that's a feature used only on Fords.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes it sound exactly the same
You've got no compression then. The engine sounds like that because it's turning over freely from lack of compression. The sound, the fact that it won't start now, and the fact that you lost the timing belt while driving all point to bent valves. It's unlikely that you would break a belt on a 3.5 while driving and not bend valves. You're going to need to remove the heads and survey the damage. Hopefully the valve guides weren't damaged (they normally aren't) and you'll just be able to replace the valves.
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
But I heard kind of a putt when I tried to start it one time And the engine turn and it feels like it has compresion but that must be the friction from the pistons

Yes, you may be feeling just drag from the pistons in the cylinders, the cam lobes pressing the valves open against valvespring pressure, and the weight of the torque converter will add a little drag too. If you actually had compression you'd be able to tell it just by listening to it when you crank the starter, you'd hear the cylinders coming up on the compression stroke. You'd also feel it clearly as you turn the engine over by hand, as each cylinder came up on compression you'd have a hard time turning the engine past it with a 24" breaker bar or ratchet.