Daniel, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Dodge technician

2008 dodge grand caravan se: turn key..start even if i turn

2008 dodge grand caravan se turn key will not crank no power from key to starter relay if i use wire from battery to the starter relay the relay will close and then it will crank but it will not start even if i turn on the ignition but it will crank
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.

Daniel :

Have you tried a new relay the relay complets more circuts than just turning the starter over

Daniel :

Do you see a anit theft lgiht on?

Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Just let me know if you have any questions. Please let me know if you have a anit theft light on.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
NO anit theft light on
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.

OK good. try a new relay.

you are more than welcome to follow up with me even after Accept. check your fuses. good.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
YES fuses are good and 1hr ago it even started up and i drove it and then when i stop it and turned it off it whent back to the same thing
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.

Did you know the relay can reset like a breaker.

when you took relay out it reset. and when you put it back in it did it again. Now this may be a weak relay. Or the circut to the relay which gets us very close.

Take relay out again and replace it see if it starts. We can continue if you want. starting and charging is my specialty.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i am jumping the relay by turning on the magnet and then the points are closing to run the starter i am not jumping the points to by pass the points of the relay that is how i know that the relay is still good and that the starter is good too but not get power to the relay to turn on the magnet of the relay but if i put power the the relay magnet it will close the points and it will run the starter and because it started an ran and then when back to not starting is how i know it is not a fuse because i never put in a fuse to make it start
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Ok we need to go though testing of the circuts. seems like you know your way around the vehicle pretty good. You wont have a problem with the volt ohm meter right.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes ok on volt ohm meter
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Ok do you have power to pin connection 85 on the starter relay connection. you should have a diagram on relay if not let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no power on 85 or 86
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.

ok so we may be looking at the ignition switch. the ignition switch signals the pcm and then the pcm signals the starter relay. so the pcm may be an issue also. But since you had it running I am leaning toward the ignition switch or circutry.