david, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines

Dodge Charger My cars check engine light stays on when car

My cars check engine light stays on when car is cut on gas pedal feels a little sluggish as if there is no power. Checked underneath the hood for transmission dip stick, checked ref book found that the transmission dip stick was omitted from car. 2007 Dodge Charger SXT. There was a time when I went to park the car and the gear shift was in reverse but car would not move, put in drive, engine rev, then park waited few moments and then gear shift caught as if it may be slipping. purchased vehicle at 17,000 miles now at 42 what could it be
Category: Dodge
Expert:  david replied 5 years ago.

david :

Hi thank you for your question hope this helps.

The check engine light is telling you there is a problem with one or the engine / transmission sensors.

You need to have the computer scanned to pull the trouble code. With this code I can tell you the problem

You have the NAG1 transmission There is just two small problems.
1. The NAG1 transmission does not come with a dipstick.
2. To check the fluid level you need to compare the transmission fluid temperature to a chart to find the range on the special dipstick. The dealer is the only one with this dipstick.

NOTE: Too much fluid will damage the transmission AND too little fluid will damage the transmission.

I have had my motor oil changed at least three times on regularly scheduled changes, and usually the oil change mechanic is suppose to check all fluids, from washer fluid, to oil both, power steering, and filters. If I need the fluid for my transmission how would I know if the fluid is low if I can't check it. I will have the dealer check the engine trans sensors as directed. But in most cars there is usually a lot of time before tans oil is changed, right? or no

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you

Expert:  david replied 5 years ago.
The recommend service time on the transmission fluid and filter is 30,000 miles.

I am not saying the oil change place did not check the fluid I just have not hear of shop having the dipstick to do it.

More important is the check engine light. You need to have the codes pulled so you know the problem. It may be something simple or it may be something that will damage the engine transmission if not fixed.

Most auto parts stores can pull the codes for free. Or you can have the computer scanned at a shop for about $40. If you get me this code I can help you more.

Let me know