hauto, tech
Experience:  15 years hands on experince, self employed

Dodge journey my ESP BAS light came on and i am being told

Customer Question

my ESP BAS light came on and i am being told that the steering angle sensor is bad, I am told that i need to spend 700 dollars to get it replaced and have the ECU reflashed. The light was on for about 20-30 min then it went out. Should I be worried about this light? If this light comes on does it specifically mean the steering angle sensor is bad? or does it mean the ESP needs to be sync'd?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  hauto replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for using JA

Yes the sensor should be replaced, it's part of the safety features on your vehicle.

The steering angle sensor is a clock spring sensor installed behind the steering wheel.

It feeds vital information in relation to vehicle angle to the ESP control module, so in the event of a skid, it will tell SRS, ESP, and ABS control modules which wheel to apply the brakes.

To synchronize means to let the other modules on the car know that the sensor is knew and present.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how do you know if the steering angle sensor is bad? is it only by having the ESP BAS indications or is there some other test used?
Expert:  hauto replied 5 years ago.

I don't know that the sensor is bad, the dealer diagnosed it to be a bad sensor, your question did not address that you wanted to know what the sensor is, does, what sync means and if it something you can ignore. And I answered all of that.

let me know if you need any more help. Thanks