brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

2006 Dodge Charger: my key..cylinder..shifter moves through the gears

2006 Dodge Charger. When I insert my key into the cylinder, the key will not turn far enough to start the car. The car powers up fine and the shifter moves through the gears. In addition, the key will not turn to off position far enough to turn the accessories off so I have had to disconnect the battery to save the drain. The car thinks it is on. When I open the door, the system does not shut down as customary. Any suggestions to save me from a 60 mile tow bill?
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question. The problem is most likely with the lock cylinder. The vehicle may start by putting the key in the on position and jumping the starter relay. This should get it going and save you on a tow. Make sure the vehicle is in park when doing this (should set the emergency brake too just in case). The starter relay is in the fuse box under the hood. Take and remove the relay and with the key on jump the position 30 to 87 with a paper clip or piece of wire. This will turn the engine over. Remove the wire as soon as the engine starts
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That is exactly the trick I needed to hear. I don't mind replacing the cylinder, but the towing would suck! I will try this as soon as I get a ride to my car. Thank you!
No worries......

Thanks and take care!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just went to the fuse panel under the hood and the position numbers do not coorespond. The are only 42 positions under the hood and 47 in the rear panel. Could you please reexamine the position numbers I am to jump please? My owners manual shows the starter fuse is number 10, but makes no reference to the relays. The box lid does show the positions though...I just have no descriptions.Also, when jumping a relay, is there any particular slot I should place the jumper wire?
The position number will be on the relay or where the relay plugs in the numbers I gave are not the location of the relay itself. When standing in front of the car and looking at the fuse box the starter relay is the third relay from the left in the top row
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, I am sure I can find that. Where do I jump it to? You refered to 87, but I find no reference to that position.
You don't see numbers on the relay? If not with the relay removed jump from the top left terminal to the bottom right terminal where the relay plugs in
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Jeff, My car is on the other side of town and I am having to run to my office to use the computer. I did not catch that the numbers you were referring to were on the actual relay. Thank you!
No worries.....

Take care and good luck!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This is my last question Jeff before I call a flatbed. I did jump the starter relay as you said and the started cranked away but the engine would not fire. It seemed like it just wasn't getting any fuel. There is plenty of gas in the tank. Any chance you have one final trick up your sleeve? As I told you before, everything in the car seems to function normally when I put the key in the on position.....just wont turn to start or turn to off.

Thanks man, I appreciate the help.

Sorry that was my best suggestion. I thought if there was power to everything with the switch in the on position then cranking the starter would get you going. Must not be getting voltage to everything do to the way the ignition switch is working