brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

2000 Dodge Neon: clicking..Lights work and battery is good

Customer Question

2000 Dodge Neon will not start, will not turn over, will not do anything, no sound at all, not even clicking. Lights work and battery is good.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is Jeff and I am here to try and assist your with your question. Have you tried replacing the starter relay or switching it with another relay to see if the relay is bad?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. My husband is going to try that. Any other suggestions in case that doesn't work?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
Have you tried starting in neutral?

Do you have a volt meter or a test light?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He tried in neutral and nothing. Yes, we have a volt meter and test light.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
OK.....take and remove the starter relay and have someone hold the key in the crank position and tell me which terminals where the relay plugs in have voltage to them
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The car isn't here, it's in a mall parking lot. Is there a way I can get back to you? I have to go back to work, but I'll be done in 2 hrs. My husband is going to try the starter relay. Could it be the ignition switch. How can we tell?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
Yes it can be the ignition switch. I need the voltage readings to know for sure. Also may need to take other voltage readings depending on the results you get.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If I leave my computer on and on this page, will I be able to talk to you in 2 hours to tell you the readings?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
sure.....that will work
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you! I'll talk to you @ about 3:30
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello. I'm back. They went to fix the car and it started right up. They had no problem driving it home 30 miles. When this first happened, the car sat for 45 minutes, then my nephew tried to start it but it didn't start, so I have no idea why it would start now.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
Just a guess at this point......could be the relay still but know way to say for sure since it is running.