Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

2002 Ram 1500: automatic transmission fluid..gasket

I recently noticed a leak under my 2002 Ram 1500 (5.9L, automatic transmission). After crawling under the truck I discovered what appears to be pink transmission fluid leaking along the "seam" of the dust shield & bell housing. Is there a gasket in this area or is it likely a torque converter issue? Many thanks!
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

at that location, it will be either the front pump seal or torque converter, both of which require dropping the driveshaft, unbolting the transmission from the engine and dropping the transmission
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can you tell me how "time-critical" this repair would be? The level of transmission fluid is in the normal range on the dipstick, and the amount of fluid leaking is a small puddle about 4 inches in diameter. Thank you!
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

as long as it stays a very small leak and you check your fluid regularly and top off if needed, you can safely go another 8-12 months before dealing with it.

If the leak becomes more severe, then have it done within 6 months.

I have seen these stay a small leak for more than a year, but have seen a few become quite severe in just a month or two. alot has to do with driving conditions - the more load(towing or hauling) or mountain grades, the quicker it becomes a severe leak.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your assistance!!!